Light-O-Rama Forums

powering on non LOR lights at showtime???

Cdshakes

Last year was my first LOR year, and i used a lamp timer with digital control and tried to get it to the same exact time as my computer that was running LOR. I had a light sign with the station numbers on it and the fm transmitter plugged into it. This year i also plan to have a sign with a spotlight pointing at it--is there anything that i can trigger by the pc (and still be reasonably priced), so that the LOR show and the static lights as such will come on exactly the same time?

Colin

The only thing that you could use is X-10 devices or Insteon devices. I'm not sure what black and dekker offers.

What you NEED on the PC side is a CM11A or a USB based device, but I'm pretty sure Light-O-Rama's current version only supports the CM11A, a serial-based device.

If you want it just to control static lights, then you could get either kind, as the LOR software and the X-10 software runs on the same computer time. Meaning, you could have static lights controlled by an external program, but it would still go on and off at the same time as the LOR program (if you set it that way).

Then, you'd need a few modules. Go with the lamp module (LM465).

wow... didn't realize the LOR had native control for x10 stuff... so if i buy a cm11a (found some on ebay--do the RCA ones work???) and plug that in to the machine that runs my LOR via the serial cable, can i just plug the static stuff right into the front of the cm11a module, or do i have to have remote modules?
and if i need remote modules, do these black and decker outdoor modules work ok? ( http://www.smarthome.com/2000BE.html )

Colin

Those should work for ya. As long as they are X10 compliant they should work for ya.

You will find it a lot easier to make a background in LOR for controlling all of your stuff that turns on at the beginning and off at the end of the night.