Light-O-Rama Forums

Rodent Damage

hotrod468

What can you do to run off the racoons, possum or what ever is chewing on my wires. Of coarse they only chew the low voltage dc and data cable. Does anyone have a good answer other then a good 12 gauge? We have been doing this for a few years never any trouble tell now! This really sucks I will have to get out the solider iron again after 2 solid days of solidering this year.

Rabbits are natorious for chewing. If you can't shoot, use antifreeze or pioson. If you still can't do it, live trap them. Mothballs DO NOT work. Red butt connectors and a really good crimper makes repairs easier.

You said red butt :P And yes i and a neighbor have been hit by the ninja rabbit :ph34r:. I only know its a rabbit because the wire he chewed by me has tuffs of rabbit fur in a 5 ft radius. So now I am on a lookout for a naked rabbit :lol:

Guest wbottomley

What can you do to run off the racoons, possum or what ever is chewing on my wires. Of coarse they only chew the low voltage dc and data cable. Does anyone have a good answer other then a good 12 gauge? We have been doing this for a few years never any trouble tell now! This really sucks I will have to get out the solider iron again after 2 solid days of solidering this year.

How about a 44 mag?

41T0X49N2CL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Had part of one of my candy cane chains go out last night. Diagnosed it today and sure enough, rabbit damage.

I had 3 cat 5 cables get damaged this year 1 durring my 4th of july display and 2 durring my halloween also durring my halloween they bit into a spt1 wire I had powering my e682 controller well they only bit the nutural wire and left the hot untouched its like they knew which was which

Edited by TitusCarnathan

I think I got you all beat. I had rats get into my storage shed and ate 54 mini tree's. 18" and 48".

It looked like someone took wire cutters to them. There were so many bulbs they chewed off I could fill a 1 gallon jug.

Glad they were all incan lights and most of them were 3 or 4 years old.

Scott

Go to the hunting goods store, get predator urine, sprinkle it around your wires etc. I put that around the outside edge of the garden so far I have only had one turtle that would come eat cherry tomatoes. You have to be very careful with it though it smells terrible.

As for mice/rats, get some of that poison from a farm supply store that comes in bars that you have to break up with a hammer.

God I love having those 3 fishers hanging out in the neighborhood. Still haven't seen a rabbit in over a week. Perfect timing for them to start coming around. Just cant leave the dog out after dark or they'll get a free appetizer.

God I love having those 3 fishers hanging out in the neighborhood. Still haven't seen a rabbit in over a week.

There are a lot of Fischers hanging around our house, still plenty of bunnies though, unfortunately ;)

I have spead some diced jalipeno around along with the liquid in the jar so far so good at least until the next rain.

Lost 2 sets of lights due to squirels or rabbits in the last week. Only had this happen once in the last 20 years. I thought the fox had taken care of the rabbits. Most be those nasty squirels.

• The topic was locked