Light-O-Rama Forums

Music Tapping

Jeff A. Galbreath

okay there got to be a better way to get the beat down, the truth about me i have a good musical brain but just takes a long time to get dun is there a better and faster way out there??

thanks Jeff G

also a member of Planet Christmas!!!

I don't tap every beat.

If it's a 4/4 song, I tap only the first beats of a measure (or even every other first beat) and then fill in the rest with "insert equal events."

That's two of us ...

However, the method was taught to me by someone who is able to tap every beat as well.

His theory is that if you are not tapping as often, you are going to be more accuate. For me, at least, he was correct.

I'm not claiming to be the only way, just another way.

What I have found that works for me is to set the sequence up in 0.05 segments.

Then, I go back and tap out each specific part I want to emphasize in the song (vocal, beat, brass, etc) with a beat to turn on/off whenever a tap occurs. I set this time up for 0.05 seconds.

After getting it tapped and set, I can finish the sequence with ease - watching the changes in the Wave form. More or less, I can get a song tapped out in about 30 minutes, and spend the rest of the time inserting the events for each specific part.

I do not anticipate any quicker sequencing time until LOR II comes out-but I would not wait for it's debut to start my sequencing.

Or, you can find something on LORSequences.com and use those as a starting point.

I have to agree with Dale. starting your segments with .05 is a lot easier. just remember when you tape that too should be set to .05...

than I agree with Don. putting a marker where 4 beats are presents does help. here's how and why.

you go thru you song with the tap wizard. lets say piano solo. you set your play range to play visible. (taskbar on top- play - play range - play visible) now you go thru your song and find that mark. thats where you click play sequence and see what you missed. the song will only play within what the screen shows.

hope that helps

Dale nice job with your sequences. only looked at 8 on lorsequence.com. but I'm not up to 160 channels.

Attached files 138712=8252-sig1lor9mm.gif

I agree with the others about starting with a background of 0.05 seconds. At least up to now, I've always done that, and then what I do is find a part of the song that I know exactly what I want to do with, and I tap just that part, and put it in a dummy channel. Then when I get that filled in with what I want, I delete that channel, and do another section of the song, and continue like that with small sections until I've filled in the whole thing. I never tap the whole song out at one time.

I just figure with the 0.05 I'll be pretty close to, if not on a beat in there somewhere, and I use the taps I make to fill in the effects that I want to use (and occasionally to hit where the 0.05 did not hit on a beat).

Don wrote:

If it's a 4/4 song, I tap only the first beats of a measure (or even every other first beat) and then fill in the rest with "insert equal events."
How do you do that for each measure? I wanted to do that, but I couldn't figure it out. The "insert equal events" seems to insert events evenly spaced throughout the selection. I didn't see a way to sub-divide existing events.

Steven wrote:

How do you do that for each measure? I wanted to do that, but I couldn't figure it out. The "insert equal events" seems to insert events evenly spaced throughout the selection. I didn't see a way to sub-divide existing events.

Steven,

The "insert equal events" will insert equal events in between two existing events.

Therefore if you have a sequence with events at every 1st beat, you would insert 3 equal events in the open spaces.

Don wrote:

The "insert equal events" will insert equal events in between two existing events.

Therefore if you have a sequence with events at every 1st beat, you would insert 3 equal events in the open spaces.
It seems I have to do that once for each measure. I use the "Edit" -> "Insert Multiple Events" menu item. Is there a way to repeat that operation for each measure in the sequence?

Steven wrote:

It seems I have to do that once for each measure. I use the "Edit" -> "Insert Multiple Events" menu item. Is there a way to repeat that operation for each measure in the sequence?

Nope ... you have to do each part of the sequence one at a time.

I found if you start a musical with 0.05 and do not use the tapper and than split up your sequence into major events ( major changes in sound or individual parts of the song that you may have an idea for) after you you have created several unconnected events you can eliminate all extraneous events. This will leave you with larg areas with no beat (I call them transitions or changes between main events) You can than take these areas and divide then into as many equal parts as you like. This may sound a little complicated but I find it easier than making adjustments with the tapper.

Attached files 138764=8254-Duals.jpg

I have been using a .04 grid instead of .05 . I got this suggestion from somebody
else on the forum. The Reason to use .04 is that if you wind up needing to split
an event to get the timing you want, then .04 will give you two evenly split events
of .02 instead of one .02 and one .03 . Once I set the grid, then I will tap out
every 1 count. Then I display the waveform and use the taps as references
to help find the beat of the song in the waveform. It takes a little practice, but
it geats pretty easy as you do more.

Tim

I used to use the tapper for EVERYTHING! When the waveform came out, I thought it was useless, so I didn't use it. One day I tried it, and it really works! I realized how "off" I was with my taps! I don't tap anymore...I just use waveform! It's great!

• 2 weeks later...

I was a drummer, so tapping comes pretty natural to me.
I do like Don, except I tap every 1/2 note, and fill with 3 even events it gets a bit tediousadding the extra events. but it works great in the endwhen you have a nice 16th note grid worked out.

lkcubsrule wrote:

I used to use the tapper for EVERYTHING! When the waveform came out, I thought it was useless, so I didn't use it. One day I tried it, and it really works! I realized how "off" I was with my taps! I don't tap anymore...I just use waveform! It's great!

Where do we find the waveform?