Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Question

nnewby

I'm sure somewhere this has been answered, but I just need some clarification.

I'm planning 1 8 channel controller, and at least 1 16 channel controller this year. (I know, I'm waiting a little late to be starting)

I'm trying to balance power/plugs for this season. The 16 channel controllers are 30 amps, 15 on each side. If I plan correctly and do not go over say, 7.5 per side at any one time, can I just plug both plugs into one outlet without any problems? I have a feeling I can, but it's been driving me nuts.

Thanks for reading and all the help i've gotten so far just by reading the boards.

Yes, you could do that.

I don't go over 10 amps on each side, and plug into a 20 amp circuit.

Keep in mind that you don't want to maintain full on with 100% load. If you are going to leave the lights full on for any length of time, you want stop at 80%. Short, (very short) full on's are probably going to be okay if you load up to 100%

Wow, I thought I would be the only person up this early thinking about christmas lights...

Well that will work great.. I'm trying to find any open service panel poles in our main or the one in the garage... My father seems to think we don't have any left, but if they are there, I will find them.. Getting him to wire them is a whole other story...

*thinks* If I could just get the christmas light bug to bite him also... */thinks*

I would say the short answer is yes, but you also have to consider what else might be on that 15 amp circuit, house lights, TV, refrigerator, etc. Also, I believe the majority recommendation is do not go over 80% of what the circuit is rated.

true. i have one 8 channel that will be on the same circuit as the tree inside and maybe a the indoor ceramic town, but nothing else... and i don't think i'm gonna touch more than 8 amps on the controller. i think i've convinced dad to get 3 more 15amp outlets put outside.. maybe more if there are open poles in the garage...