Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it possible to run a single strand on 2 channels?

Stone Roots

So here is my scenario,

I have palm trees in my front yard - with red green white strands on the base and frawns. I have 2 extra channels im not using and a lot of yellow lights that i have no other use for - so id like to be able to use the yellow for the base of the palms and use the green lights that are attached to the frawns so they serve 2 purposes (they can be green base / green frawn, or yellow base / green frawn). Right now the each palm tree is on one channel - my question is - is there some sort of power splitter that I can use that would allow me to use the lights on the frawns to be connected to both the green strand and yellow strand but powered seperatly? So that I can switch between the colors but use the same strand of lights for the frawn, instead of having to add more lights to an already weighted down tree?

And I dont have time to build a relay... any suggestions / ideas?

I can't think of anything that wouldn't require restringing/re-wiring and/or re-sequencing. If you're downloading sequences, it sounds like the re-sequencing part isn't an option under any scenario.

Might be best to wait until next year and plan it differently. Or switch to RGB and learn sequencing and solve the problem that way.

Edited by George Simmons

Well I haven't hung any lights yet & I have 2 open channels on all my sequences. Basically what I need is a sort of reverse power strip where a single strand of lights could be powered at different times by 2 separate power sources (channels). Any electricians know if this is possible? (Worst case scenario I just add more lights and run them separate but it just seems inefficient).

I would love to go all RGB - but that's something that will take years to change over to due to budget...

I'm not all that smart but... Couldn't you use one of the two channels to separate the green on the frawn from the rest of the lights and then use the 2nd unused channel for the yellow lights on the base. For sequencing an all green tree you just have both the green frawn and green base on. That would eliminate the need for any relays and would use the remaining two channels.

Unless you use some electronics/relay trickery, there's no way to connect a single device to multiple channels, as this would electrically bridge everything on those two channels.

Could you hook it up? Probably. Should you? Absolutely not. If you ever sent power to the two channels simultaneously, it would be bad news. Imagine taking and exension cord with two male ends and plugging them both in.

Could you hook it up? Probably. Should you? Absolutely not. If you ever sent power to the two channels simultaneously, it would be bad news. Imagine taking and exension cord with two male ends and plugging them both in.

Now if both channels are on the same phase it would be no big thing. But if it turns out that one channel is feed from the A phase and the second channel is from the B phase. Then sit back and watch the 220V fire works. Also I am not real sure what would happen if you applied power to the output of a triac when it is not turned on. Maybe nothing, or maybe you will let out the smoke and wont work any more.

Edited by Max-Paul

Why wouldn't they be on the same phase on the same controller?

Not suggesting the OP do what is being discussed, the idea is fraught with risks/challenges, but I don't think his biggest risk is a power phase issue.

Maybe I'm missing the desired outcome, but setting aside something RGB, he just needs to separate strings and channels by the sections he wants to control; its the name of the game..forget trying to switch things with relays, etc.

Edited by GaryM