Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter

Erik

NkySpike65 wrote:

If you happen to go with the Ramsey FM Transmitter, do "NOT" get it from HobbyTron.com...

I order my Ramsey FM30 already built and test (supposedly) from HobbyTron.com on 7/05/07... I now have sent two back with two different problems (1. right side out, 2. no distance, even 8ft away)...

I called HobbyTron about the second one being bad also, they ask me to call Ramsey to see if they could find out what could be wrong... Long story short, Ramsey's said it was how it was built that there was nothing I can do and they would warranty it for me.. I called HobbyTron back told them, they said send it back to them and this is where I am right now...

They now have two defective units and my $260 and I have nothing... Still waiting to see what they are going to do next...

Just to let you know that HobbyTron.com buys the kits from Ramsey and they have somebody else build them, Ramsey makes a great product it all depends on how they are built.

Well to give you all an update on the THIRD unit they sent me, DOA... Like I really thought it was going to work out...

No display at all, will beep twice then the lock on light turns on but, still no display...

I guess I will have to go round and round with them

tomorrow...

They don't want to give me my money back, they just keep sending different units...

• 2 weeks later...

I know im jumping in on alot of things that have alredy been said, but My belkin works perfect for me, always a clear signal, and it goes plenty far. About 90ft in my case... But my house is small and my display will be 16 ch, Im sure Ill need my signal to go much further than 90 ft..

I did the Belkin mod and it worked well enough. Although, one or two people had trouble tuning in. I will probably upgrade to the 25B this year. Its one less thing to worry about, since I never knew if the Belkin worked well enough.

• 4 weeks later...

As a newby to LOR this year I didn't want to shell out the $200 plus for a FM transmitter (yet) and I didn't want to get out the soldering iron to mod a Belkin. I did find an alternative, the UK222 at Hobbytron. It has an antenna attached and uses a 9v battery. I tested it with a mp3 player and it has a very nice range. I will test it later this week with my new LOR setup. I bought the one at canakit (at the time Hobbytron offered it) without the case. http://www.canakit.net/

I see now that Hobbytron has enclosed the board in a nice kit with an extendable attenna if thats a way you want to go.

http://www.hobbytron.com/HiFiPortableBatteryPoweredStereoFMTransmitter.html

One more comment on the Belkin. If you have areas on the radio spectrum where you really have a quiet frequency, ideally with nearly silent adjacent frequencies, you stand a much better chance with the Belkin. My experience here is that the "best" frequencies to use often have two or three stations that a portable (digitally tuned!!) radio will switch back and forth between with minor changes in antenna orientation.. I just tried the belkin mod, and while it was the dominant signal, even in side the house, depending on geometry, the other stations would randomly tune in instead. Of course the antenna on my truck is more directionally stable, but driving slowly past my house, it cut back and forth several times. I just ordered a FM30b kit which should resolve the problem...

- Kevin

I tested the UK222 as noted above and it works two to three houses away. Any further and you couldn't see the house and lights and relate it to the music on FM anyway. Works perfect for me!

Update: After one day the UK222 device went South for the Winter. I ordered an FM30B. Oh well, was worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

-klb- wrote:

One more comment on the Belkin. If you have areas on the radio spectrum where you really have a quiet frequency, ideally with nearly silent adjacent frequencies, you stand a much better chance with the Belkin. My experience here is that the "best" frequencies to use often have two or three stations that a portable (digitally tuned!!) radio will switch back and forth between with minor changes in antenna orientation.. I just tried the belkin mod, and while it was the dominant signal, even in side the house, depending on geometry, the other stations would randomly tune in instead. Of course the antenna on my truck is more directionally stable, but driving slowly past my house, it cut back and forth several times. I just ordered a FM30b kit which should resolve the problem...

- Kevin

I finished my FM30 yesterday, so from ordering on the 8th from ramseyelectronics.com, to finishing kit assembly on the 14th is not bad at all. I did have a slight issue with the setup button winding up 90 degrees from how it was supposed to be inserted, but once that was identified and repaired, all is well. With the standard whip antenna, and half scale power setting, testing with a Walkman, the range is about as good as I expect people to watch from. Realistically, I expect the range is a bit better with car radios.

It does appear that newer versions of the FM30 have added a couple components to try and protect the GAL5 from ESD damage through the antenna connection, though you can never completely protect from ESD risks.

- Kevin

Kevin,

I too just finished the FM30. It took me about two days, but then I have plenty of time to do just that. The only thing I wished it had was a USB input instead of stereo RCA jacks from a line output. My PC sound card does not have a line output so I use the headphone jack, but I have to turn the volume way up and turn the gain up on the FM30. Other than one cold solder joint, it was fairly easy. Nice kit with good output and sound quality.

Tom

• 6 years later...

Eric, I using the $120.00 unit that Light o Rama sales and it works great.  the only thing is the range might vary. but there is a small switch on the circuit board that will increase the vary a lot. It is not talked about on the included paper work

I bought this one on a very high recommendation from George Simmons. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APST86E/ref=pe_226320_29965270_email_1p_3_ti#productDetails.  I have a farm and it transmits from inside our shop up to the road which is at least 1000' feet away.  Signal is as clear as can be.  I am very pleased.