Light-O-Rama Forums

Building LED visalizing board

cenote

Was wondering if anybody has build or heard of building a LED board representing each of the channels. Than connecting the "Board" to your controllers. My thoughts were if there was a bigger way of visualizing your sequences instead of using the little graphic, that it would help. Also would be a great way of working bugs out of your controllers.

Thought if I could paint a 4' x 4' plywood representing my display, than use led lights or even some sort of miniature bulbs drilled threw the board as the lights. I have enough room where I program, I could hang it on the wall. Just have not come up a "cheap" efficient way of doing this. Not to worried about connecting each bulb to the board, thought i could solder a small gauge wire to each channel than connect to a plug at bottom of each controller. Than could have just a few wires from board going to each controller.

Does this sound like I am crazy, or a good thought for playing with lights year-a-round?

I remember seeing a couple different such boards on the PC site last year, but don't think they were LEDs. You might be able to do a search, but not sure what the search criteria would be.

• 3 months later...

here is what I use to do my sequences and it has helped a lot to see in real time what it looks like. All I did is took a HI-Res pic of my home and blew it up in photo shop and then printed it.Using the tile print setting and also use print edge to edge so you don't have to trim any extra. Then I used spray glue to glue each square down. I put it all on coroplas. and used an Philip's screwdriver to put holes where ever I need one for a light I used 50 count lights for the Ice-cycles and used10 count for windows and poles and one single bulb for the bushes

http://www.biosciences2.utoledo.edu/xmas/pics/DSCN1447.JPG

Yes, I've done this with C9 bulbs and some 20 bulb strings on a basement wall. I use this for programming songs and animation during off season. It's a model of the house and yard.

I don't have a pic because I had to take it down in order to have the concrete wall behind dug out and pushed back. I will rebuild it after this season is over.

cenote wrote:

Was wondering if anybody has build or heard of building a LED board representing each of the channels. Than connecting the "Board" to your controllers. My thoughts were if there was a bigger way of visualizing your sequences instead of using the little graphic, that it would help. Also would be a great way of working bugs out of your controllers.

Does this sound like I am crazy, or a good thought for playing with lights year-a-round?

Not crazy at all - we were brainstorming a board that you could customize to simulate your layout. Nothing solid or tangible as of yet, but still thinking. Lots of variables that would need to be worked out. As our displays get more complex, and the desire to view it in real time - our drive to revisit this thought gets stronger as each season goes by.