Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone see a problem here?

txboy

I could not figure out why I kept blowing a fuse on controller 02 channels 1-8. This is my mega tree white channel made from SP-2 cord with vampire plugs and a 100 light strand.

I checked the hardware, everything looked solid. I checked the light strings, no visible issues. Unplugged all the cords from the controller, replaced the fuse, and plugged one in at a time.

Bingo the fuze blew, cord 8. The last one. I took the female end apart (why the female end first, I don't know) and the "stabs" looked good, one on both sides, good penetration. Then I returned to the controller end dismantled the male plug and ...

post-4487-13539975734825_thumb.jpg

(See photo)

Nice, nothing like quality control. Shame on me for not catching this when I was assembling my cords. What a fail on the manufacturer for not catching this.

Something new every time I turn around. :)

Edited by txboy
  • Like 1

I had a few of those about 3 years ago... Thankfully only 3 or 4 out of about 500... I didn't blow any fuses finding it, but I did kill the cheap circuit breaker in a power strip, as they were being tested before plugging into the controller

Yep, that is a fuse killer. And don't beat yourself up over it. That is an easy oversight! Especially when you are tired.

For those that are making their own cords; it is prudent to test the assembly with an expendable load (i.e. 100W lamp) prior to installing in a lighting system where you have the opportunity to "liberate the magic smoke". It not only will protect your equipment, but will also help ensure that the circuit is good from the controller to the display element.

I had one last year that I found while making the cord. That's caused me to be vigilant in my construction practices to make sure I don't miss the next one. I like to keep the magic smoke in my equipment where it belongs.

I took the female end apart (why the female end first, I don't know) and the "stabs" looked good, one on both sides, good penetration.

Can we please insert jokes here after that statement... :lol:

Thanks for posting not only got a good laugh at the taking female end apart and getting good penetration but know what to look for if i encounter this problem.

Indeed! Thanks for sharing!! I would t have thought to look for that but it's easy enough to keep an eye out for it when making wires.

My wife recently caught the LOR bug and is putting lights all over the yard and making her own zip wires. I'll definitely share this one with her!!!

Ive done only a few hundred vampires and havent run across that yet. I would have pulled all my hair out before checking a vampire plug for polarity. This year my whole display only uses 3 still good to see its a place to track problems.

I've done over 900 vampire plugs from 3 different manufactors and I've never seen the thingy where the watchamacallit should be.

I'm sure I would have gone through a lot more fuses before I found it!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To someone who doesn't yet make their own cords, what is wrong with this one? I am thinking about going into making them next year.

Both teeth will tap into the same wire creating a dead short. One of the teeth should be on the right side.

I have come across the female ends with no hardware in them I tossed them out, I always check each cord after I make it to make sure it is working fine.

Ya kind of hard to get them to mate and multiply without the hardware inside. :lol:

I'll add my thanks for that as well. Will keep my eyes open. This year the only weird find was one of my megatree strings wasn't working and when I checked the controller output it was fine. Turned out, both mini-fuses in the plug end of the string, had popped up. Problem solved easily and lucky for me.