Light-O-Rama Forums

2012 display is mostly complete

n_gifford

I have enough done that I'm not afraid to show it off to the world.... :) I'm hoping to shoot and edit some real video tonight, but here's a quick clip that I shot last night with my phone. Like us on Facebook, if you'd like to see some more updates over the next few days, and I'll update this thread as the videos become available.

Ok, here's my first full edited song of the year. The video sucks, but you'll get the point! :)

Christmas Eve/Sarajevo (Carol of the Bells) by Trans Siberian Orchestra:

More to come soon! Enjoy!

I warned you that the video sucks. I'm going to try a different camera with the next one, but I don't think it'll improve much.

Ok, I re-shot all of my songs tonight and I'm working on editing and uploading them. I have 4 up so far, and I'll redo the TSO song tomorrow.

1. Real men of genius - Mr. too many Christmas decorations guy:

2. Mistletoe by Justin Bieber. Just watch it! I created a new ending for it and it's just over a minute long:

There are still more coming, and I'll continue updating this thread. Enjoy, and thanks for watching!

3. Nevermind.... Titanium by David Guetta featuring Sia was blocked in 245 countries. If you live in Sudan or West Bank and would like to see it, let me know.....

Edited by n_gifford
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the latest addition to the show, Nutrocker by Trans Siberian Orchestra. Auto focus is still causing me issues, but this is my new favorite of the year!

And my second favorite (Not sure why I didn't post this one before). Shake Up Christmas by Train.

Edited by n_gifford

Nope. They're all RGB pixels (Same thing, minus LOR's price and proprietary protocol). 1,300 pixels total this year, equivalent to about 26 CCRs.

This year's display uses 2801 pixels on the roof lines, GE Color Effects in the radio sign and 2811 everywhere else. All sequenced by SuperStar, of course! Well, not all because I started sequencing before purchasing it, but about 60%..... :)

I've had numerous weather (Rain) related issues with the 2801s on the roof this year. This is their second year, and I should have re-sealed them prior to putting them up. Since they'll need to be fixed/replaced, I'm hoping to replace them all with 30IC/meter strips next year. Which would be the equivalent of 26 CCRs just on the rooflines, and about 18 everywhere else! :)

Edited by n_gifford
  • Like 1

Looks pretty awesome. How do you go about the 2801 route? CCRs are too expensive for me and wanting to see if I can pull off this for next year.

Looks pretty awesome. How do you go about the 2801 route? CCRs are too expensive for me and wanting to see if I can pull off this for next year.

I seem to get that question a lot lately...... :)

Probably because a lot of people are in the same boat that I was a year and a half ago. I absolutely loved the look of CCRs, but they were so far out of reach for me that it was never going to happen. One day I stumbled on an article about "hacking" GE Color Effects lights, after I had seen some at Home Depot. From there, I continued the research and discovered RGB pixels. We'll just say that it was all down hill from there.....

I sent you a PM, with what has become my cookie cutter response since I keep getting asked this question. Good luck!!

• Like 1

I thought I should add a very important point here, to anyone interested in DIY RGB pixels. While I'm very proud of the fact that I can accomplish the look of CCRs (Or CCPixels, in my case) at a fraction of the cost, it should be noted that this option DOES NOT come with the same level of support that LOR offers!! In fact, it comes with hardly any support..... Sure, there are numerous DIY enthusiasts like myself that are happy to help as we can, but the lights don't come with a warranty. The controllers don't come in enclosures, and require YOU to wire additional power supplies to them. In fact, YOU have to wire EVERYTHING!

Now, with that said, they are great fun! I personally enjoy putting the whole thing together myself, but it's not for everyone!

Nicely done. Could have sworn those were CCRs. I'm in the same cost/benefit boat for my 2013 show. Glad to see you using Superstar.

• 1 year later...

Could you send me your cookie I mean response I'm interested in using RGB lights this year. THANX!

• The topic was locked