Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it to late to start for a newbie

Tekbob

So just getting back from Disney and seeing the Osborne lights gets the creative juices going but is it to late to get a starter system and have it operational by Dec 1st or should I wait for the sales that I have read about and start for next year?

Seems like there are enough free and paid sequences already available that i could at least get a couple of those up and running but im not sure.

If this is mildy doable is the starter 16channel kit available from here the one I should get or is there a better package available elsewhere, i saw wowlights had something as well. Also as i want to be able to not use a computer for now, what is everyones thoughts on the mini director? Do i really need the industrial enclosure unit that is $100 more or can I go with the other unit?

Finally I would like to be able to use this for other things in the future, has anyone used these to sequence music to lights for weddings or other events? Are there any design ideas that anyone has seen for this type of thing? Seems like this could be used for so many other creative ideas that it would ease the cost of only using it for xmas or Halloween.

Thanks for any help and replies, this seems way to addicting already.

-Bob

Perfect time to start planning for next year. Start deciding what bulb type and what color white you want to use and try to stick with it. This helps make a uniform display. The big box store lights are nice at first and cheap after Christmas, but longevity is very questionable. In a couple years you may be replacing what you buy today while also trying to expand your display. The favorite online vendors on this forum will soon be starting their presale orders, you'll pay more up front, but longevity is much better. I'm starting to really kick myself, my display is full of a mix of lights and a little fustrated on what to do going forward. Read, read and read some more on this forum, download user manuals and use the search.

Welcome to the madness!

PS Many use their controllers year round. I have RGBW flowerbeds and RGBW high power led floods for landscaping 24/7/365. Fourth of July and Halloween are the two biggest other holidays to light up as well. Each holiday has it's unique challenges.

Edited by scubado
  • Like 1

Getting the hardware this late in the game for this year will be the biggest hurdle. If you want to do animated lighting now is a good time to build the props you would use next season and just run lights on them for now. Then half the battle is over for next year.

I was thinking the same as GoofyGuy - set up etc would probably be possible if you were using all free/paid sequences and know what youer' about with lights etc it might be possible to get something up and out there but getting the controller ordered and to you on time would be tough - impossible (I'd imagine) for the 1st December certainly :/

Having reread and seen that you want to use a Standalone Director rather than the computer aspect etc, I'd have to agree with the others and suggest that you start planning etc now but for next year.

And definitely read read read - everyone on here is so helpful and there is far too information out there to take in! I only started this year, am dead nervous about getting the display up and running but ... fingers crossed! :)

• Like 1

I think it is. If you keep a simple design and use purchased sequences out of the box, I think you could. Plus it will help you learn it for prep 2013!

I ordered controllers 8 days ago, with holiday and all, I still have 5 days before I get them. Just don't this Dec 1 is possible.

I agree with the rest. I'd wait until next year. This is my first year and we've been working on our show since June. (It starts tomorrow!!!) building props, getting lights, sequencing, reading, reading reading and more reading.... still have tweaking to do... I think if you try and do it so late, even if you do get your products, if it isn't what you wanted you may get disappointed....

I agree with the rest. I'd wait until next year. This is my first year and we've been working on our show since June. (It starts tomorrow!!!) building props, getting lights, sequencing, reading, reading reading and more reading.... still have tweaking to do... I think if you try and do it so late, even if you do get your products, if it isn't what you wanted you may get disappointed....

Look at the bright side - that's where the low-cost used controllers come from next spring and summer...

• Like 1

As long as you get your residential controller by Dec 15, it's all good. Throw some lights on the house, get some free sequences, and make it happen. And the good thing is that next year will be better.

I think I will take the advice of the majority here and wait until the sale and plan ahead. Worst thing i can do is rush it and have it not turn out or be very subpar.

Has anyone used these devices for anything other than xmas such as for weddings or other events.

Thanks to everyone,

-Bob

I think I will take the advice of the majority here and wait until the sale and plan ahead. Worst thing i can do is rush it and have it not turn out or be very subpar.

Has anyone used these devices for anything other than xmas such as for weddings or other events.

Thanks to everyone,

-Bob

I did a vending trailer for a business once. Basically, do whatever turns you on and have fun. People have done parade floats, boats, vehicles. I'm planning on building a 300 gallon saltwater tank this next year. It will incorporate RGB lighting :D

• Like 1

In my opinion, it depends on how large you want your display to be, and how much time you have to devote to it. I just started working on mine this month. Got all the hardware and software at the beginning of the month, and i've been busy every since. I immediately started working on musical sequences, and now I have about 30, and I just started to hang lights yesterday. In between that time, I bought all the minor accessories I needed as well. I plan to go live this Saturday (Dec. 1st).

I just ordered a controller and software yesterday....don't plan on getting some super fancy setup up and running but will definitely do some testing / planning on what I want to do next year. I'll probably be messing with it all year. I can see how this could become very addicting.

I just ordered a controller and software yesterday....don't plan on getting some super fancy setup up and running but will definitely do some testing / planning on what I want to do next year. I'll probably be messing with it all year. I can see how this could become very addicting.

The best thing I could suggest is group your display in 4's, then try to edit one persons sequences. Make sure you record video. So that next year when you're sequencing you'll have a visual to improve on.

If you need any sequences or help shoot me an e-mail. Good luck.

I agre with Columubs, if you group your display in 4's (or 2's if you have enough time) you could put at least something up. Obviously it won't look like the displays the experienced people have, but the lights will still go blinkity blink. This is my first year and I started planning in July. My display is very basic and I'm using mostly borrowed sequences but it's still fun. Since I'm using borrowed sequences, they weren't programmed specifically for my layout, so it doesn't look quite as "coordinated" as the one song I was able to do on my own. However, it still gives me countless ideas for next year, and everyone here is very helpful and willing to share.

Pick whatever colors and styles you like for your lights. Personally, I'm one who will snatch up all the 50% off lights at Wal-Mart et al after Christmas. Don't care what colors they are, I'll grab them all. Then I find uses for them in my display. Some people like all white (of which there can be countless shades), others have specific patterns. While I do color coordinate specific parts, I like having a huge variety of colors.

Thanks for the input, my controller came today. I plan on playing around a bit after the kiddos go to bed. Pardon my newbness but what are you referring to as in group your display in 4's or 2's? Is this 4 groups of lights on one channel?

Like on my house ch 1-4 are House, windows, garage low, and garage high in green, Then ch 5-8 are the same in red. Most music is in 4/4 and your controller can be divided in multiples of four. It is just easy to organize.