Light-O-Rama Forums

Minimum show PC requirements for LOR2

roadrat

Has this been decided?

Right now I use a 233MHZ 256M RAM. Works for shows, I know it's going to work out in the cold, and has the ISA alot for my DIO board.

(My 1st writing in this new forum....);)

I would guess that your config would still work. It worked for me on LOR I.

Given that the new sequencer is rumored to use less CPU time, I would be shocked if the show portion needed processor power than LOR I.

roadrat wrote:

Don wrote:
Given that the new sequencer is rumored to use less CPU time, ..

That is good news!

Don, did you have to convert to .WAV for it to work properly

The BAD news about LORII is that it will NOT RUN ON WIN 98.... It requires Windows 98 Second Edition (SE) or higher. THe main reason is that it requires Windows Media Player 9 or higher to operate and Windows Media Player 9 requires 98SE.

CPU and Memory requirements are about the same as LOR I.

Probably a dumb question, but a question none the less...

Does the LOR software actually use a lot of computing power to run the lights? I mean, it looks impressive on the screen, but is a sequence really a lot of work for a computer?

Greg

I think Don said before that running the show takes very little computing power. However, the sequencing and animation view is another story.

Ponddude wrote:

Probably a dumb question, but a question none the less...

Does the LOR software actually use a lot of computing power to run the lights? I mean, it looks impressive on the screen, but is a sequence really a lot of work for a computer?

Greg

Consider that a small, P2, 233Mhz machine with 256MB of memory running Windows 2000 can control 112 channels and not miss a beat.

Dan has said many times that the CPU hog is the sequencer.... the running of the shows has always been minimal, at best.

Why? I don't know! :)

LightORamaDan wrote:

The BAD news about LORII is that it will NOT RUN ON WIN 98.... It requires Windows 98 Second Edition (SE) or higher. THe main reason is that it requires Windows Media Player 9 or higher to operate and Windows Media Player 9 requires 98SE.

CPU and Memory requirements are about the same as LOR I.

I'm running XP. Not a problem.

• 1 month later...

I thought I heard somewhere the min cpu was 400 mhz?

Yea im preying to run my shows with a win 98se, 400mhz, 190 mb ram. if not I have a backup win xp, 2000 mhz, 1gb ram, but its noizy and a power hog.

doublea wrote:

Yea im preying to run my shows with a win 98se, 400mhz, 190 mb ram. if not I have a backup win xp, 2000 mhz, 1gb ram, but its noizy and a power hog.
You sould have no problem running the show on a 400.. We have ar hard time giving a minimum configuration because running a show requires few resources. Editing requires a bunch. We really should give to sets of min requirements.

LightORamaDan wrote:

doublea wrote:

You sould have no problem running the show on a 400.. We have ar hard time giving a minimum configuration because running a show requires few resources. Editing requires a bunch. We really should give to sets of min requirements.

Aye thanks for the reply Dan,

Also as a suggestion, you could give

Reccomended requirments, and Required for sequencing

And min and reccomended for running the show.

T think that 2 sets of min requirments would prove usefull. ;)

• 2 months later...

With rumors of LOR II's imminent release swirling, and decisions needing to be made about whether I (and others) use it for our displays this season, I'd like to wake up this thread and verify that my old show computer (766 Mhz, running Win98SE) will work properly with LOR II, now the software is much closer to its final form than when this thread first occured...

Also, can any betas that actually tested this configuration chime in just to relax my nerves of adopting something new this late in the game? Being in the industry, I know sometimes the minimum systems aren't always tested to the degree of the more common systems...

Thanks!

-Tim

I was wanting to know if there will be any firmware updates that need to be done. I read that some of the features (fading shimmers and twinkles) might not be available in the first version of LORII, but is that the only thing a firmware update would be needed for? I am using the PC boards.