Light-O-Rama Forums

Snowy audio coming from PC.

EvilM0nkey

Its not coming from the transmitter or cable. If I use one of my droids on the same input cable it sounds great on my show speakers. The snow is coming from my soundblaster card. But the strange part is my Logitech speakers sound fine.

I may have to go with plan B and run my show from the laptop. But it sure would be nice to figure this out. If I unplug the input cable and let my transmitter broadcast dead air you have to nearly max the volume to get any noticeable snow.

Any ideas?

Edited by EvilM0nkey

I found with mine that it is a matter of positioning. If I have my antenna too close to the PC I got a LOT of static ... I ended up getting an extension cable for the earphone jack and now have the antenna about 10' away from the pc. I get a bit of static if the sound is not playing but as soon as the music come on you can barely notice it.

Dave

Try turning down the output of the pc to like 15% or 25% a lot of times this will do the trick. What transmitter do you have?

I agree also .. better for the user to turn up the car radio vs having the output on the pc too high

I did and that's too low. i have to run it at 50% on the PC and 75% on the transmitter in order to get any respectable volume on the other side. When I use the phones I can go as low as 15% and it works fine. I have the Dagco.

I should also mention that the transmitter stays in the same place when i switch it from PC to anything else. It sits on top of my PC case. Using anything other than the computer gives me very clear audio in the same location.

Edited by EvilM0nkey

Also, open the mixer controls in your computer as you might have an output turned on that should be muted. You'll find all those in the speaker icon on the taskbar but within, select the "Advanced" setup button. Sort of depends on which OS you are using but you'll find it. Another thought is if this snowy sound is coming from an FM transmission to the speakers? I quickly figured out that I didn't have enough signal going to the transmitter therefore snowy sound. Too much signal caused bass type crackling sounds. I use a line attenuator to control the level going to the fm transmitter along with the master controls...which depend on which setup or sound cards you are using.

With the computer connected the signal is snowy, with the input cable completely disconnected from the transmitter you get quiet dead air. With a different device connected the audio is clear.

I did try to move the transmitter but my UPS causes interference with it so I'll have to go the other direction I suppose.

Good idea. I checked but there were no updated drivers. My Soundblaster card does have a bit of age on it. However the laptop is a bit older. Who knows. as long as it works I'm happy!

I had this problem last year. I tried new drivers and rolling back to older drivers... no joy. I ended up buying a cheap Turtle Beach soundcard from Newegg and replacing my SoundBlaster card. Problem solved. Goodluck!

I had this problem last year. I tried new drivers and rolling back to older drivers... no joy. I ended up buying a cheap Turtle Beach soundcard from Newegg and replacing my SoundBlaster card. Problem solved. Goodluck!

Yea I'm 99.999% convinced that's the issue. It's just really strange that I only get nose on the transmitter. The computer speakers sound great still. I do have the option of pulling the soundblaster card and using the built in card on my motherboard though. I may try that and see what I get.

Also forgot to mention I took the ferrite thingies off of the old LOR USB cable I had and put them on the input cable in the same fashion (one at either end) and the audio is even clearer now.

• The topic was locked