Light-O-Rama Forums

Ideas for the house please

jeepers128

I am going to do a show next year. I would love ideas on where to place lights. What lights to use and any other suggestions that you might have. I would like fresh prospective to my project and it's early enough I can get some great ideas going.

Thanks All!

post-11356-0-34490500-1353354626_thumb.j

If you plan on starting small like me I would suggest picking the areas that will have the biggest impact. A house full of lights moving to music will show a lot better than 16 mini trees if you ask me.

Here is a (crappy) video of my setup for this year. Hopefully I'll get better video tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/v/10151161796915745

Think outside the box. It looks like you have a great house to decorate. Look at videos of other displays and try out ideas from those.

Tom Straub

Guest wbottomley

I am going to do a show next year. I would love ideas on where to place lights. What lights to use and any other suggestions that you might have. I would like fresh prospective to my project and it's early enough I can get some great ideas going.

Thanks All!

Put some LED's all over it.

Guest wbottomley

Any ideas on how to hang lights on the peaks? What about using red, green and white stringers? Maybe only white?

Your house, your imagination. Put the two together and you'll have what you want and be happy.

What will people have to see past or through to see your show? From what I can tell you have two big trees in the forefront. How will they be intergrated into the show?

In my very beginner opinion, step back and take a glance. What do you notice about the way your home is built? What do you see around it? Any potential home owners association or other restrictions?

How many channels are you going to have?

What have others done that you like? What have they done that you didn't like?

Start sequencing songs extremely early next year. In truth they will take a lot longer than what you think. Whatever you do, have fun with it and include your family with the process if at all possible.

I would find a few displays in your area and go by early and see if they will show you how they did everything.

I did that and it gave me alot of do's and do not's.

good luck.

Hanging those lights depends on what kind of lights you play to hang up there. I started this a few years to soon, or the new pixels are a few years late coming to the market. Here you are new to this, even though you have done a static display in the past. If I could start all over, I would give it a hard thought about using those pixels for your eves. You got all of the standard colors and everything in between, in that one string.

Ditto others suggestions about talking to others locally if you can and go see how they did it. I have heard that some will mount those pixal strips on a PVC pipe and then use those snap clamps for brooms. Although I would have to ask about rust.

To get the lights on tech peak rent a lift from a rental store. More economical than you may think and safer to do. That's what we are doing this year. It is our first year as well. Can't wait to see the neighbors face when the lift comes Friday Morning....

Lights around all the windows and along all the eves. Get a boom truck and wrap those two trees in the front. Put a mega tree on the lawn on the right. Double the lights on the shrubs and do all the shrubs on the right. Whatever you decide on for lights think of what you need then double it. You could easily fit 100k lights on your house.

hey jeepers,

nice looking house. you are just starting out so pace yourself. its funny but this hobby never has an end. you think of a great idea this year and then you stand back and think of 10 new ideas. then you do that and 5 more ideas come to you. if i were you i would try to incorporate the house, trees, shrubs, the post on the porch and even around the yard. you can go crazy with rgb strings if you have plenty of money to spend. you also have to realize that sequencing with rgb can get very involved. start off with 1 controller and set it to 16 different locations/items. alot of the veteran folks in this hobby grow with the new items but don't show off all they know in every song. you can watch hundreds of video of people who think they need to show off with all of the lights all of the time. i can only watch a few minutes of these videos cause there is nothing left to the imagination. you don't have to show off everything you've done in the first 30 seconds.

as far as your house, you can make fire sticks out of your porch post and both of your trees. i have 4 posts on my porch and 2 are on 8 channels and the other 2posts are on the same channels but plugged in reverse. so if i want the same idea as arches you can do alot of the same effects with your tree trunks.

another cool thing you can do is make fake rgb strings. my family are big disney fans so in my display i have a large "mickey" made out of pvc and fake rgb lights. you could trim out your roof and it would work just like rgb strings. what you do is take a red string a green string and a blue string and you twist tie or zip tie the blubs close to each other. then you create a rgb channel in your seq (using 3 channels/plugs) then when you chose the colors of the rgb the string will adjust the intensities to create the colors you want. its not a real rgb sting but you can get some cool colors as well as some neat effects that way. mine just use 5mm string with twist ties.

for now try and set up your different items in different colors. white roof, red windows, green shrubs, and blue yard. lots of colors make the house stand out more.

also i noticed your profile says your from ohio. is that by chance cincy? i'm in northern ky and would be glad to help with more ideas.

best if luck and keep asking those questions everyone on the forums will be glad to help.

be sure to post some pics when you get things set up