Light-O-Rama Forums

Do people offer to donate to you? and how does that work?

ehgilman

As far as covering costs, I have put up a display every year for as long as I can remember. When I switched to LED lights, My electric bill went WAY DOWN. The only investment I have into this is the LOR box and a in expensive FM transmitter. So I will probobly not need any help. I do this because I love it and as a gift to my neighborhood. I was just throwing the idea out there because not all of us have come through this crapy economy as well as others have. So as a person who is not "Well off" and still wants to put the Time and Effort into this for the neighborhood and maybe raise some funds for a good charity or two or three. I threw the idea out there. Maybe if you have some extra cash you can send some my way so people here in the poor neighborhoods can enjoy a little Christmas spirit. Selfish is when you are doing something for only yourself. Disgraceful is when people with money seem to think that the poor people should just give up and quit.

So I think its real simple: if you can aford to do a show with your own funds, do it. If you can't, and have to depend on others to fund it, either via the contributions those who watch it might want to make, or, asking for money like you did here, don't do it.

I do my light show as my gift to the community. My donation box is 100% charity.

In addition to being one more thing to deal with, I feel that some viewers may feel a little guilty about seeing a donation box and not donating, especially if they come with their family. I just want them to enjoy the show without any expectations.

• Like 2

I think this topic may have gotten out of hand in some respects. I don't think anyone on here "can't" afford to do it...some of us just can do it bigger. My husband has been out of work for over 2 years now due to a work injury. I wanted this for like 3 years. Started with the Mr. Christmas for 2 years...but just couldn't stand it any longer. I saved, did extra work. Bought one controller. Thankfully someone was looking out for me and notified me when they found someone on here selling 2 controllers. I negotiated and got them both for $300. Thankfully I had a barage of Christmas lights already. Not many LED but this year it is what it is. bought things little by little..started early.... had scrap supplies in the workshop...kept my husband busy... I am very pleased with what I got. I am putting out a donation box...I hope people load it with money! but I would NEVER keep it for me. THat's not what Christmas is about. I have 3 organizations that deserve a little help this year. God will provide me with my needs. I am not concerned. I have raised money and stuff for charities for 9 years. I have a Christmas party and require my guests to bring something for them. Figure if you are going to come eat my food, drink by booze, get free gifts... you can donate. If people come by and like the lights, and God leads them to donate..then great... if they can't... then hey... at least they got to see some beautiful lights and I pray it brings them joy this season...even if its for 18 minutes 36 seconds.

This year we decided to collect money for our local Autism project. I wouldn't collect for myself that's not why i do this. The lights are what i enjoy.