Light-O-Rama Forums

Strob Help

columbus27

This is the first time will use strobes in my display. Below is a list of songs I am doing this year. I was wondering if there are any people who have these songs, uses strobe lights, and have video of it. I am just trying to get ideas.

Holiday Road

Carol of the Bells TSO Christmas Eve (Sarajevo), Trans Siberian Orchestra

Party Rock Anthem, LMFO (Greg Modified)

You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch, Boris Karloff

All I Want for Christmas, Mariah Carey

Christmas Canon, Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Silent Night, The Temptations

Baby, It’s Cold Outside, Jessica Simpson with Nick Lachey

Hot Chocolate, Tom Hanks

Call Me Maybe, Carly Rae Jepsen

• 3 weeks later...

My father-in-law had 5 strobes on the upper eves of his house. The strobes really accented the show going off with beats, and it would draw your eye across the house, across the light show. He would also use them during quiet, dark portions - you couldn't help but look for where that flash was coming from. 1 strobe per channel and he used them sparingly to make a strong impression (at least it did on me! ) :)

I use strobes to surprise and/or excite people. First thing is to choose exciting music. Even strobes can't save boring songs. Next thing is to figure out what's the most exciting part of the song and start there. Once you get more experienced, you'll find other times to also use them effectively.

I personally believe there's no such thing as too many strobes, and I've got a couple hundred as proof of that belief. The times they all fire at once is a pretty spectacular effect, especially in the dark. Definitely wakes people up. However it's extremely easy to over use them. Be careful.

Edited by George Simmons

strobes are great additions to a show. i used about 30 or so. they are great for finales of songs and when you have a big crash or pow during a fast song. they are great to use during many of the tso songs.

i have about 12 hanging under my gutters. i also have 18-20 spaced about 5 ft apart on spt1 wire hanging in my tree line to visually expand the view for my display. any time you can spread out even just with a few stobes they can make a neat effect.

also remember when you are programming that the strobes are always either off or on. you can't set them up to fade twinkle or shimmer. if you try to do that then it will screw them up pretty quickly. they are not designed for that.

also when you are programming set your strobes to come on a second or two before you really want them to turn on. with most all stobes they need just a little time to warm up and turn on. play with the seq a little with the timing and you can get some really cool effects when they are timed right.

best of luck and have fun. strobes can be really a nice surprise.

I have six stobes in my mega tree and they look great. To quote K Jett " they are great for finales of songs and when you have a big crash or pow during a fast song. they are great to use during many of the tso songs"

I concur. remember, eiher on or off and start them before you want the effect so they have time to charge and flash

Lots of great information. I only have a half dozen strobes although I ordered another 5 recently, but it's good to hear how you all place yours. I also use them sparingly as others have said. In "All I Want for Christmas Is You" I think I only trigger them once: after the opening intro to the song at the big drum fill leading into the first verse. Sorry I don't have a video of it.