Light-O-Rama Forums

Ethernet Cable Types?

Rhyph

Hi All,

Long time listener, first time caller.... :ph34r: I've been doing the LOR thing a little while now and searched around, but didn't find a general ethernet cable best practices or suggestions topic anywhere outside of what's in the FAQ: http://www.lightorama.com/FAQ.html#_Toc124407466

I need to make a fairly long pair of primary runs from where my show 'puter is in the house to my first controllers, approximately 50' each. I'm running a mixed network, LOR on one and DMX over ethernet on the other. I do not mind investing the money in very good cabling, so I'd like to hear from folks as to what would you do in your own display.

Is there any harm in using shielded CAT5E at least for the primary runs? What about shielded CAT6? Any harm in running shielded throughout both of the networks?

Thanks in advance and let me know if I've left some pertinent info out. B)

Hi All,

Long time listener, first time caller.... :ph34r: I've been doing the LOR thing a little while now and searched around, but didn't find a general ethernet cable best practices or suggestions topic anywhere outside of what's in the FAQ: http://www.lightoram...l#_Toc124407466

I need to make a fairly long pair of primary runs from where my show 'puter is in the house to my first controllers, approximately 50' each. I'm running a mixed network, LOR on one and DMX over ethernet on the other. I do not mind investing the money in very good cabling, so I'd like to hear from folks as to what would you do in your own display.

Is there any harm in using shielded CAT5E at least for the primary runs? What about shielded CAT6? Any harm in running shielded throughout both of the networks?

Thanks in advance and let me know if I've left some pertinent info out. B)

Given that we aren't using it for a true Ethernet network, the type really isn't as important as if you were setting up an office network. I think Will pretty much said it all.

IMHO: using Cat 6 cable is a waste of money over Cat 5E unless you can get it cheaper.

I can buy in bulk, I haven't yet found an advantage to using 5e over 6 yet, so I'll probably stick with 5e. The expense comes in if I do shielded vs. non-shielded.

In order for shielded cable to work properly. You have to use a RJ-45 plug that is built for shielded cable. Also the RJ-45 socket needs to also take advantage to shielded cable/plugs. As it is, LOR PC kit boards use an all plastic sockets. With no means of applying a ground to the shielded plug and then hence the shield in the cable.

Waste of money and will make the cable stiffer. I wouldn't do it.

• Like 1

Cat3 is more than good enough for the LOR network. Most of us use Cat5e, because it is cheap, readily available, and far exceeds the needs of the LOR network.

• 2 weeks later...

The only time you should consider shielded Cat5 is when it runs through the same conduit as a power cable (which it shouldn't do anyway).

Be careful when running one cable for the LOR network and a 2nd for Ethernet. If you accidentally connect an Ethernet card to an LOR controller, the 10vdc aux power across pins 3 and 6 could cause excess current to flow through the Ethernet transformer across the same pins, possibly destroying it.

Buy two different colors or more if you have more than two networks. Get say blue, green and red for example for multi networks.

Not a bad thought. I bought my cables color-coded by length, which is handy when grabbing them out of a box, but a bit confusing when I use them for 5 different things (LOR, DMX, DMX with power on the 'extra pins', E1.31/Ethernet, post-DC-controller power)

Buy two different colors or more if you have more than two networks. Get say blue, green and red for example for multi networks.

That's what I do. I have several LANs in use at the house. Each one get's a different color cable.

Red = Internet

Blue = primary home LAN

Gray = a secondary LAN

White = WiFi access points

Green = E1.31 LAN

Orange = 802.11Q trunked LAN between switches

Purple = LOR Networks and environmental monitor sensors

Yellow = Video over Cat-5 (and whatever else is needed)

The purple and yellow cables are normally color tape marked to identify specifically what they are.

Completely avoids crossing LANs or worse, non-compatible services.

Just a house, but I'm a certified techno nerd. The WiFi access points are on a separate network so if it gets hacked, all it gets someone is access to the internet - it's outside my firewall. The E1.31 is off the primary network simply to keep the multicast traffic off my normal LAN. the secondary LAN is there for a specific application that again, I want to keep off my normal network. I have managed switches in the house and garage and with the 802.11Q trunk, I can carry all the separate VLANs on one cat-5 cable.

I also run a web, E-Mail, and ftp server. I also have a 1A2 key telephone system with at least 1 phone in every room of the house, garage, and storage shed.

Like I said, I'm a nerd (and proud of it).