Light-O-Rama Forums

Taping PVC to paint a Candy Cane

bob_moody

I thought I would throw this out to the forum with hopes that someone has done this with better results than I. While I have done this before I am having the same issue with spacing.

Here is where I am going.

I have painted a section of PVC red. Now I want to use 2" painters tape to tape off a spiral down the pole (aka Candy Cane), then go back with 3/8" piece of tape to add a smaller stripe (I run a roll of 1" painters tape acoss the table saw to get "pin stripe masking")

What I have experienced before and having the same problem with now is keeping the spiral evenly spaced as you go down the pole. I really thought that if I kept the tape taught and didnt let it wrinkle on the edges that it would behave. What ends up happening is as I get closer to the bottom of the pole the spacing narrows.

I know some others have painted thier candy cane patterns and I was just looking for any tips on applying the tape.

Thanks for the help,

Bob

You'll be the only one to notice if the lines aren't straight.

Well Tim, you certainly got Sandra with that one ... her comment ... "He has your number.." LOL.. (she is STILL laughing)

Take a look in the how-to section on our web site. http:\\moodychristmas.weebly.com

The North Pole Tune to sign is what we did earlier in the year. It was my first attempt at painting.

Bob

First 3 years my Tune to sign was supported by two PVC pipes 5' long that I used red duct tape. But the sun bleached it to the point that half was red and half was orange. This year I took red and white LED rope light and spiraled the two to give the candy cane effect. Not perfectly parallel, but I to feel that from a distance who will care. besides, the sign is before the display. People are going to need to see the sign and then hopefully read it to see that they can listen to the music.

Well, I thought I would share the results of my attempt. Here are the eight mini North Poles. Ready for the base, collar and RGB toppers.

I will let them cure a few days. I have seven more kits coming from David over at HolidayCoro. Should be here tomorrow so I will work on the electronics and leave these sit...

Like Tim and Max-Paul said, I dont think anyone will even notice... (or at least I hope they dont..)

Well, I thought I would share the results of my attempt. Here are the eight mini North Poles. Ready for the base, collar and RGB toppers.

I will let them cure a few days. I have seven more kits coming from David over at HolidayCoro. Should be here tomorrow so I will work on the electronics and leave these sit...

Like Tim and Max-Paul said, I dont think anyone will even notice... (or at least I hope they dont..)

Those are some pretty sharp looking ones and even too boot. Nice work!

Those are some pretty sharp looking ones and even too boot. Nice work!

Thanks David. I have always said, paint and caulk hide a multitude of sins.... it seems good camera work does too... hehehehehe

I will be topping these with your RGB Candy Cane Post Topper Ball for 4" PVC Posts (I'm using 3" posts but with a 3" to 4" adapter collar)

appreciate the kudos... thank you.

clear1x1.gif

Thank you Steve.

It took working the first one about 4 times to get it and after a few choice words... I'm sure if Santa was listening I'll end up with a lump of coal in my stocking..

But I'll take the coal if the display makes people happy... (that should get me back in good with the Big Guy)

To tape off spirals I lay a diagonal stripe on the table saw and then keep the pole against the rip fence. Hold the masking tape at the same angle as the reference on the table and turn the pole. Keep it taut and keep the pole parallel to the fence and it should come out nice. Looks like you got good results, what was your technique? Oh, you don't need to worry about coal, you buy all your own toys these days anyhow!

For really large candy cane poles, another option is to use paper tape (non-adhesive) to wrap the pole. You can reposition it, slide it, tweak it and then tape it down (overlap the edge with painters tape). I buy the 3' rolls of brown craft paper and cut it into narrow rolls on the compound miter saw.