Light-O-Rama Forums

Feedback on First Time Sequecing

Randytenn

Hi everyone. It's our first year doing LOR, and we've been at it since May. We were going well, and then discovered the amazing world of RGB LED Strips, and that set us back several months.

So, just curious on feedback on a sequence of "Christmas is Starting Now". It's the LOR Visualizer version, but you should be able to tell what's going on. Anything you see that I missed (Wow, you could have done this with those lights), or anything you see that will cause a problem (LED Strips can't do that).

http://youtu.be/HN8UYcOr0VQ

Thanks!

Randy T.

Orlando, FL

There's two primary things I look at when evaluating sequencing:

1) Is there plenty to look at most of the time? I don't like displays that wink a bush or window frame back and forth for half the song, leaving the rest of the yard dark, nor do I like displays that blink 90% of the display every single beat. You did a good job there - plenty of interesting things to look at.

2) Are the timings accurate: Again, you did a pretty good job there, especially for a newbie. You might want to look at the timings on the hanging nets or whatever those colored squares to the left are: For example at 10 seconds, they seem to be rushing and not on the beat, whereas the rest of the display seems locked right in.

Overall quite nice.

EDIT: I think I figured out #2- you're trying to sequence 5 things over the space of 4 beats. Which makes it just enough off the beat to look like it's a mistake. Instead, I'd try doing a faster chase effect. For example: Beat 1, chase left to right. Beat two, pause on the right. Beat 3, chase back to the left, Beat 4, pause left. So it would be (as you count 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4): chase, pause, chase, pause... And it will look like it's dialed right in, like the rest of your stuff.

Edited by Tim Fischer

Thanks, Tim. I see that. I'll try your idea. My issue is that it's actually 6 channels across the front, so I was trying to fill four beats with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5/6, 4, 3, 2, . I've also battled the visualizer a bet, with it not quite syncing up. But I'll try your idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Great effort! I'm starting to program my first sequence. Where did you start? How did you assign your channels, or was it just what you had set up first became channel 1, 2, 3...? Looks great!

Thx-

Matt