Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Question - Newbie here

Justme

I've been looking around, searching and searching and for some reason cannot find what the best LED type light is to use with the LOR 16 channel PC. I've seen ball led's, string, strips, rope and pixel led's, I think that's what they were called anyway. I'm looking for some where when I program them I can control the rgb state. For instance like in all the vid's the whole house is blinking red, then blue then different colors. Hope I didn't confuse anyone. Which would be the best and affordable? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Justme, welcome to the hobby.

The LED lights you find here will work with the LOR Controllers. This is just one link to one vendor, as there are others out there.

To control the RGB state with a CTB16PC controller, however, isn't as simple as getting a string of LED's and hooking it up. Many (but not all) of the houses you see with multiple colors is really nothing more than 3 or 4 colors of LED (or incandescent) lights connected to the controller. Take a look at the video from my house last year. Anywhere you see more than one color, there is more than one string of LED lights. So you aren't really controlling the RGB state, your just activating different colors of lights at different times.

Yes, there are ways to have a single string of LED lights that can do any color, but they aren't going to be a simple strand of LED lights.

Hi Justme, welcome to the hobby.

The LED lights you find here will work with the LOR Controllers. This is just one link to one vendor, as there are others out there.

To control the RGB state with a CTB16PC controller, however, isn't as simple as getting a string of LED's and hooking it up. Many (but not all) of the houses you see with multiple colors is really nothing more than 3 or 4 colors of LED (or incandescent) lights connected to the controller. Take a look at the video from my house last year. Anywhere you see more than one color, there is more than one string of LED lights. So you aren't really controlling the RGB state, your just activating different colors of lights at different times.

Yes, there are ways to have a single string of LED lights that can do any color, but they aren't going to be a simple strand of LED lights.

Thank you for the response, love the vid, thanks for the link as well. Only one other question, on the CTB16PC controller, what would be the max# of led strands I can plug into one plug. I know I read something about 1.25-1.50 amps or something, new to this all, how many led lights is that, that'll equal that amperage?

The CTB16PC can handle 15 amps per side, and 30 amps total. (15 per side.) Each channel can hold up to 8 amps.

As long as you don't go over those numbers, you are okay. (Though, it is usually recommended you not go over 80%, so 12 amps per side, 24 amps total.) If a string of LED's pulls .02 amps per string, you end up with quite a few strings of lights before you reach the limits of the controller.

• Like 1

That is the reason I went with LEDs. My mega tree pulls less the 2 amps total if all lights were on. I know it could be done but it would take a lot of LEDs to max out a controller.

The CTB16PC can handle 15 amps per side, and 30 amps total. (15 per side.) Each channel can hold up to 8 amps.

As long as you don't go over those numbers, you are okay. (Though, it is usually recommended you not go over 80%, so 12 amps per side, 24 amps total.) If a string of LED's pulls .02 amps per string, you end up with quite a few strings of lights before you reach the limits of the controller.

Thank you again for the quick response. That is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks again for your help! I'll post up a vid when it gets closer. Usually do all the lights etc... about a week before Thanksgiving.