Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Newbie question on what to buy

Guest guest

I want to do my first animated display this year. I've been lurking around here for months reading and reading and reading. But for some dumb reason I'm not sure if this is the right setup I need.

http://store.lightorama.com/ctascpa.html

I want to use the software and a computer to run the show. I've never soldered before so I don't want this to be my first try at it. Would hate to ruin the board or something. But I can handle putting kits together. So let me know if this is the part I need. I believe so but want to double check. Will be ordering two of these. I'm nervous and excited. Thanks for any help. Can't believe how much I have learned just by reading the boards. TONS of info in here.

Steve

rswrman wrote:

I want to do my first animated display this year. I've been lurking around here for months reading and reading and reading. But for some dumb reason I'm not sure if this is the right setup I need.

http://store.lightorama.com/ctascpa.html

I want to use the software and a computer to run the show. I've never soldered before so I don't want this to be my first try at it. Would hate to ruin the board or something. But I can handle putting kits together. So let me know if this is the part I need. I believe so but want to double check. Will be ordering two of these. I'm nervous and excited. Thanks for any help. Can't believe how much I have learned just by reading the boards. TONS of info in here.

Steve

Steve,

That's probably the part you want. Take a moment to look at the instructions to verify this is what you think you are getting into.

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/CTB16PC_Man_Web.pdf

Well, that will get you half way there. If you want to order two of them, that is fine. That will give you 32 channels, that can handle up to 8amps a channel. However, you are also going to need the software, a way of connecting the computer to the controller, and Cat 5 cable. your best bet is this...

http://store.lightorama.com/spk800.html

It will give you all the software, the serial connector (of you can upgrade it to the usb connector) as well as 10ft. of Cat 5 cable.

If you add that to your order list you will be set...well at least with LOR...there is always room to buy more lights:laughing:

This is also what I ordered from LOR this year, I have purchased complete controllers in the past and this will be my first time with a kit. Like you I didn't want to do the sodering. So your on your way for your first show...

By the way... are you planning music? I am sure you have read about transmitting music over an FM Transmitter so people can pick up music on their car radio. Here is what I did for an FM Transmitter, just plug it into the headphone jack on your computer and your all set. Looks like you have all the pieces.

http://www.christmasdisplays.co.nz//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=2

GO FOR IT, TAKE THE LEAP!

Thanks for the input guys. It is much appreciated. I will add the kit Ponddude suggested. And I was planning on a mod belkin. Thanks for the link. Am excited and nervous. But I know where to go if I have problems. Thanks again!!!

Steve

P.S. Do you need a 110v power supply for the belkin? My experience with that in the car was the batteries did not last to long.

I have been messing with the belkin modification, and it just isn't working for me. I contacted Marty about an FM transmitter, so I will be using that. I purchased the Belkin transmitter last Monday, I worked on it every day last week, probably for about 2 or 3 hours each day, and the batteries died on me on Saturday. There is a cigerette adapter, but you will need the ac to dc converter to use that in the house.

Moral of my story, I would go with a real FM transmitter, I just worked better for me.

Greg

All I needed for the Belkin modd was the car adapter that came with it (the black models) and a cigarette lighter wall adapter...that looked like a cigarette lighter 'socket' with a plug...this little thing plugs into the wall, and my transmitter into it. I got it for less than 10 bucks on ebay.

I too got a DC converter from Radio Shack. I think it cost me $15. I want to upgrade my tranmitter though. My Belkin worked great until Thanksgiving. The channel I was going to use was clear as a bell, then when I was all set up and ready for my test run bam! somone would bleed over into my channel. The other issue I had (well visitors has) if they didn't have a decent car stereo they didn;t get good reception.

But for my first year all in all the Belkin worked out great. will probably use it again if I cannot afford one of Marty's.