Light-O-Rama Forums

Trying to repair incan strings, first "real" attempt

Klayfish

In the past, if I had a string go out, I'd make a quick attempt at putting a new bulb in where the string was out. If it worked, great. But it almost never did, and I just toss the string out. Wasn't a big deal, as most of my strings were 50 lights and only $2.50 at WalMart. Since I only had a handful outside, I only lost one or two per year. My indoor lights always hold up well, and I rarely loose one. Now that I've got a lot more outside, I want to at least see if fixing is an option. I'm a bit puzzled by this one though...a few years back I snagged a whole bunch of multi color light strands on clearance. They're 200 lights each, so they're huge (I forget exact lenght, but I think it's about 30-40' each). I had them laid outside on my lawn last year. This year, a bunch of them have lights out and I'm confused as to how to fix them. I thought if a light went out, either just that one went out, or the rest of the strand from there to the end went out. These have only some of the strand out...for instance the first 50 lights are on, then the next 40 are out, then the last 110 are on. What gives?? Are they fixable or do I need to toss them?

Edited by Klayfish

Look into a device called a buzzbox ,tell you now they are not cheap ,but if you have a lot of lights they are worth it ,but remember this they work on incans. only not LEDs.

In the past, if I had a string go out, I'd make a quick attempt at putting a new bulb in where the string was out. If it worked, great. But it almost never did, and I just toss the string out. Wasn't a big deal, as most of my strings were 50 lights and only $2.50 at WalMart. Since I only had a handful outside, I only lost one or two per year. My indoor lights always hold up well, and I rarely loose one. Now that I've got a lot more outside, I want to at least see if fixing is an option. I'm a bit puzzled by this one though...a few years back I snagged a whole bunch of multi color light strands on clearance. They're 200 lights each, so they're huge (I forget exact lenght, but I think it's about 30-40' each). I had them laid outside on my lawn last year. This year, a bunch of them have lights out and I'm confused as to how to fix them. I thought if a light went out, either just that one went out, or the rest of the strand from there to the end went out. These have only some of the strand out...for instance the first 50 lights are on, then the next 40 are out, then the last 110 are on. What gives?? Are they fixable or do I need to toss them?

Yep, definitely fixable. A 200 count strand is probably four seperate 50 count strands wired together. So it seems like your 2nd set is out and one(or more) of the bulbs in that section is bad. Buzzbox is the easiest way to find the bad bulb... but the Light Keeper Pro also does a pretty good job once you get the hand of it. I *NEVER* throw away strands unless the wiring is too far damaged to safely repair.

If the clicky-clicky method of the LKP doesn't fix the strand, take the strand into complete darkness and clicky-clicky again while looking for an arc in the bad section. That's how my 10 year old daughter and I *ALWAYS* find the bad bulb/socket in PIA strands.

Good luck.

Edited by Jeffrey

Here is the step by step intruction using the "Audible Voltage Detector".

The best way for this to work is set the light string on the floor or table, take the bad section and lay that section in a straight line so each bulb is not next to another bulb.

DO NOT touch the string of lights with your hands or the detector will give you a fail failure.

http://www.lightkeeperpro.com/support/how-to-use/audible-voltage-detector

I just did a string a couple of days ago with 2 open and 4 burnt out bulbs in one section, only took about 10 minutes to find and repair. Actually took longer to find replacement bulbs and make to change out.

the string will stay on but not the whole string if a bulb is burnt out,but it will not if the bulb is loose,I use the light keeper pro,but loke others said if it don't work I just pitch the strand on get new ones. but it does work well

Edited by james campbell

Forgot to mention, If you are not use to using the Audible Detector, Take a good string of lights and lossen one bulb in the string so that section does not work, then since you know where the problem is in the string you can get familar with how thie Audible detector works per the instructions on the web page.

Light Keeper Pro is the way to go!

Fixed a deer that was 1/2 lit in 5 seconds!

I have 2 just in case.

And because I have so many LEDs now I bought a LED Keeper!