Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB16D (Deluxe DC Controller)

Guest guest

I am interested in purchasing the CMB16D (Deluxe DC Controller) and have a few questions. I wanted to ask the questions here instead of email mailing LOR directly in case someone else has the same questions. I want to run the board in standalone mode powered by a 12-volt DC deep cycle battery. (my train)

1. The specifications say, “Two logic level digital inputs.” What does this mean and how would these be used? Do these apply while in standalone mode?

2. It also says, “Can monitor an input to start the internal standalone sequence.” Is this input one of the two stated above or is it separate?

3. Can electric DC motors be run from this controller as long as the motor amp draw does not exceed the channel capacity?

Thanks,
Bryce

The inputs can be used in standalone mode and in future Software release they can be used to activate things at the PC as well. One of the inputs is what optionally starts the standalone sequence.

DC motors can be run from the controller.

The controller must have DC supplied to it. It cannot be AC! You need to supply the DC via a power supply/battery/wall transformer... etc.

LightORama wrote:

The inputs can be used in standalone mode and in future Software release they can be used to activate things at the PC as well. One of the inputs is what optionally starts the standalone sequence.

OK, so one input could be used to start the standalone sequence but what can the second input currently do in standalone mode? Stop/pause a sequence? Or is it just there for future use like you stated?

Thanks,
Bryce

The voltage of the transformer depends on what you are going to control with the card. If you are going to control 12 spots then you need a 12 volt transfomer....

We will be selling a transformer that can be used for the logic side of the card. This is only necessary if you are using volages less than 12 VDC. IF you are using voltages of 12VDC or higher then the logic in the card can be powered by the main power soruce.

This is just a question for curiosity but, how does the logic part of the board have the ability to accecpt a range of voltage from 12-60 VDC. Also what is being used to do the actual switching of the channels since you cant use TRIACs. Just curious:D thanks!

Dan,

Thanks in advance for releasing a DC controller and also the DMX512 interface. I just can't wait till August comes around hahaha

Does the CMB-16D controller come with Heatsinks installed or are these an optional extra?

Is the CMB-16D designed to fit inside your plastic enclosures?

Cheers,

davidt - Australia

My guess is each question is

1) onboard regulator

2) MosFET's instead of triacs.

smarts53 wrote:

This is just a question for curiosity but, how does the logic part of the board have the ability to accecpt a range of voltage from 12-60 VDC. Also what is being used to do the actual switching of the channels since you cant use TRIACs. Just curious:D thanks!

kb9nvh wrote:

My guess is each question is

1) onboard regulator

2) MosFET's instead of triacs.

smarts53 wrote:

kb9nvh is correct

davidt wrote:

Dan,

Thanks in advance for releasing a DC controller and also the DMX512 interface. I just can't wait till August comes around hahaha

Does the CMB-16D controller come with Heatsinks installed or are these an optional extra?

Is the CMB-16D designed to fit inside your plastic enclosures?

Cheers,

davidt - Australia

Hi,

The DMB-16D does not come with heatsinks installed. It can fit in our enclosures.