Light-O-Rama Forums

Getting an edited Sequence to play while the show is running

JonB256

Like most, I have an "edit" computer and a show computer. I'm running a Halloween show this season and the sequences need tweaking. When I'm outside, I take notes about improvements, then come inside and edit. Usually minor stuff.

My question is: The two computers are networked, so when I'm done editing, I can copy the new version to the show computer's "Sequences" folder.

But, it won't play the edited file unless I stop and restart the show. I know that is not a huge problem, but I'd rather it notice the change and load the new version.

Is there a way to force LOR S3 (3.8.0) to do this?

If not, do you see a reason not to do it?

JonB

The reason it can't or won't is because the actual sequences used during a show are not in the same format as the original sequence you load into the SE. Try and load one of the sequences from the show list AFTER it's been generated, it won't load it and will come back with an error of some type if I recall. Tried loading one of my Director sequences into the SE and it wouldn't recognize it. So that tells me the sequences that are actually played are in a completely different type format, so you just can't copy the sequence and then expect it to work just by overwriting it.

Unfortunately the only way I know is stop the show and delete the current sequence from the show and add in the revised one before it will recognize it.

This is the reason not to do it too.

I think that depends on weather you have it set up to load sequences at the beginning of the show or before each is played.

I know it's that way for the MP3 showtime director. I don't use a computer to run my show but my guess is there is something similar to that in the show scheduler.

Regardless of whether you have the show player load each sequence or preload them, the player only loads the sequence once. Then, for as long as your show loops, the sequences that are played are the ones it loaded originally. If you want to get edited sequences in, the only way I'm aware of is what was described by the OP - stopping and restarting the show. If you do that when the show would ordinarily roll over I doubt anyone watching would notice.

Note - this applies to using your PC to run the show - I have no experience at all with the director units.

Edited by George Simmons

Regardless of whether you have the show player load each sequence or preload them, the player only loads the sequence once. Then, for as long as your show loops, the sequences that are played are the ones it loaded originally. If you want to get edited sequences in, the only way I'm aware of is what was described by the OP - stopping and restarting the show. If you do that when the show would ordinarily roll over I doubt anyone watching would notice.

Note - this applies to using your PC to run the show - I have no experience at all with the director units.

George, that is what I thought. I've been doing a "Graceful" show stop, then restart.

Perhaps I'll ask for a "Graceful Restart" command so I don't have to sit there and wait to restart.

JonB

Since I'm chronically behind schedule with my own personal sequencing, specifically updating old sequences, what works for me is to run the show on-demand the first few nights. Fewer commands and time spent/needed to stop and re-start with new/updated songs.

Edited by George Simmons