Light-O-Rama Forums

KISS Method

Guest Guest

Guest wbottomley

You saw an amazing video on the internet where someone's home was synchronized to the lights. Is it cool or what?

Now... you want to do the same thing.

If you haven't already started hanging lights, sequencing, etc, you're pretty much hosed this year. That's right, this is not a plug and play option. Those are sold at your local home improvement store. But, if you want to expand beyond the capability of that unit, you've found the right place.

First, research these forums by using a Google search or browse many topics in each of the forums. There's plenty of information to read here and your answer will be posted 99.9% of the time.

Second, know what you're buying. If you didn't do the first thing, then you won't know what you're buying.

Third, asking for help will get a polite answer easier than begging or demanding one. They're users that's been with LOR since day one. They know the equipment inside and out.

Fourth, it's about having fun. If you take a sequence from a person that's offering them up for free. A kind gesture goes a long ways.

Finally, the KISS method. Keep it simple stupid. The AC controllers in a weather proof enclosure really don't need to be inside a building, garage, or home. It's much easier to place the unit next to the lights without running a million extension cords hundreds of feet long. Plus, it's better to purchase everything after the season where huge discounts are offered.

Keeping these things in mind will yield a cool display and a knowledgeable decorator.

• Like 12

yep folks who think they can buy this in October and even begin to grasp what you need to do the they need to stay with a mr christmas. I moved to lor because i wanted more control, no I found out after two seasons this is alot of freakin work,worth it though

Edited by james campbell

This is why I bought my first controller after Christmas, still in Dec. 2009, but didn't buy 4 more controllers, DC-MP3 Showtime Director, MBB Eclipse 4000 FM Transmitter, LOR Software and Advanced license until the January-Mid February time frame.

Before that I WAS using a 4 channel wireless Mr. Christmas for both my Halloween and Christmas displays, but like others, wanted to do more than what it could do.

Williams post hits everything right to the point.

Coming into this in October and thinking you may get a Halloween or Christmas Display off the ground using everything, just may not happen.

Now there may actually be 1 or 2 folks that could actually pull it off being that close{starting late October}, but that would be extremely rare , at least in my opinion, and experiences with all this LOR and Lights Addiction.

Can he get an Amen?!?! B) Coming from a newbie who started this project in July, all your points are right on. My display won't be what I have as a "grand vision" for the future, and not the stuff you see on YouTube. However, my lights will still go blinky blink (fingers crossed), which is awesome! I'm following the KISS philosophy too for my first sequenced song. Not trying anything really fancy, just getting the hang of how to use the different tools. Can't wait to see the final results!! Well...maybe my stuff will be something you see on YouTube...I plan to post it even if it is really crude...I'm still proud.

I agree except My K.I.S.S. means "Keep It Smart and Simple". Been using that theory for years.

Edited by Dennis Cherry

I agree except My K.I.S.S. means "Keep It SMART and Simple". Been using that theory for years.

So does that make your lights "Brilliant"? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Guest wbottomley

One thing I forgot to add to the list. You have to purchase an USB 485 adapter from LOR, no exceptions. They have it set up to work with their equipment. You can try others, but it's surely predictable it will not work.

Nicely stated William. Too many try to be a Holdman the first year out and do not realize the "investment" that this passion requires. That ain't all about money either.

Guest wbottomley

Another thing to add to the list... wiring! This is the most important safety issue of the show. AC voltage requires wire designated for that purpose. Anything other than that type, you're asking for serious injuries or death. Other wire used for DC purposes will need the rating, voltage & amperage, checked before used for a specific purpose.

yep folks who think they can buy this in October and even begin to grasp what you need to do the they need to stay with a mr christmas. I moved to lor because i wanted more control, no I found out after two seasons this is alot of freakin work,worth it though

I think I am going to pull it off and just started this week. Got my first song done and design figured out. Hard to go back to mr. christmas after seeing all this....

Speaking of which... I got a mr. Christmas for sale! haha