Light-O-Rama Forums

New to LOR

Ukwild

Just thought i would say to you guys, i am new on all this so i am planning for 2013, i have a static display right now here in the uk but want to get it animated after seeing kevin judds viral, after speaking with him he directed me here for info and i must say i admire all of you even more after reading what it takes to get a show up and running, as for me and where i am i have a plan of where everything is going to be and for the next month at least i think i am going to dive into reading, watching tutorials reading have a little play with the demo software, reading a little more until the time comes to purchase that first controller then maybe more reading, the main question i have is about the power, i have never seen a control box in real life and just wondered how you plug the lights to it, does it have a special plug? will it work properly off a uk plug? i understand you are all busy planning your shows so i dont expect a speedy response but any advice is welcomed, many thanks ryan

I have heard but not 100% sure of this. But sounds like when you order your controller. You just note that your in the UK and want it set up for 220V. And if your getting one of the models with power cord, they might be able to send it with the UK type of plugs. Dont quote me on the last. There are a few guys in here as you might know already that are in the UK so I would PM them for better info. Welcome to the crazy of LOR and sequencing.

I have heard but not 100% sure of this. But sounds like when you order your controller. You just note that your in the UK and want it set up for 220V. And if your getting one of the models with power cord, they might be able to send it with the UK type of plugs. Dont quote me on the last. There are a few guys in here as you might know already that are in the UK so I would PM them for better info. Welcome to the crazy of LOR and sequencing.

Max-paul's right on no.1 but LightORama will not be able to send you it with UK plugs for this you have two options:

1. Make you own cords, this involves wire, spade connects and sockets (you cannot get UK versions of vampire plugs).

2. Buy travel adapters to adapt the cords that you get from LightORama. (This is the one I use and it works great)

As regards how you connect the lights, your controller comes with 16 cordsets and with the adaptions mentioned above you can just plug the lights.

Just thought i would say to you guys, i am new on all this so i am planning for 2013, i have a static display right now here in the uk but want to get it animated after seeing kevin judds viral, after speaking with him he directed me here for info and i must say i admire all of you even more after reading what it takes to get a show up and running, as for me and where i am i have a plan of where everything is going to be and for the next month at least i think i am going to dive into reading, watching tutorials reading have a little play with the demo software, reading a little more until the time comes to purchase that first controller then maybe more reading, the main question i have is about the power, i have never seen a control box in real life and just wondered how you plug the lights to it, does it have a special plug? will it work properly off a uk plug? i understand you are all busy planning your shows so i dont expect a speedy response but any advice is welcomed, many thanks ryan

Welcome to the forum of addicts! ;) You're the type of newbie we enjoy seeing, one that's already got some idea of what's involved before posting and asked a good question. Enjoy your studying. Just to spark some ideas, LOR is fun for landscape lighting too, it will help you get acquainted with hardware and software before the 2013 holidays.

Thanks for the reply, as for the actual lights/props how do they connect to the controller, sorry if this seems like a dumb question

you will have 16 outputs per contoller,and your lights will hook right to each output,then you will assign a channel number to it at put that channel number in a sequenc and now you have conrtoll over that prop or string of lighs Edited by james campbell

you will have 16 outputs per contoller,and your lights will hook right to each output,then you will assign a channel number to it at put that channel number in a sequenc and now you have conrtoll over that prop or string of lighs

James, the OP is from the UK. They have different power and plugs than we have here in the US. This is why he's asking, to figure out what he needs for adaptors or how the controller is configured for the UK.

Yes sir, Sire. I should have called the royal sire, Sir! I better watch it or I might be drawn and quartered after serving time in the tower. Always wanted to go thru the Traitor's Gate! (Was going to make a reference about not being able to see Sherwood Forest for the Mega Trees, but thought that might be pushing it a bit!)

Eeee gads, I hear that they kept crows at the tower to peck out the eyes. Its always fun to yak with someone who knows some of this stuff. But you got me about the "Sire" Ok so what was the water gate used for?

Traitor's Gate was used to bring criminals, threats to the crown etc. directly to the tower (prison) so that they never touched English soil. Never mind the tower is on English soil. Another fun fact... the Brits believe that the English empire will fall if the ravens ever leave the tower...so to be safe, 2 ravens are kept in a cage at the tower. Gotta love my ancestors. Spent 2 years in England from 1974-76 while in the Air Force.

WOW not only do i learn about lighting here i learn about my history too :) as for robbing from the rich to give to LOR, that is a possibility i am not ruling out yet but on a serious note thanks for the info i think i understand what is needed now thanks