Light-O-Rama Forums

anyone got a pic? window frames

paralegalnc

As I was reading the forums (probably more like stalking) I ran across a post where I guy was making wooden? window frames and drilling holes in them for the lights...just to place in the window. I was like...wow...that's pretty cool. (duh why didn't I think of that) Then the more I thought about it...the more I wanted it. I told my husband... I think he is playing selective "I don't understand what you're saying"... so... I know all you folks do... so does anyone have a picture? or if you are that person...cuz I can't find the stupid post now. I would assume that you could use them year after year... just pop those puppies up, bam, you're done.

I've been designing my lights to go up in a jiffy. As an example I have fake facia boards (1x4x3/4) that have my lights already attached. I have a hook on each end so I just hook them on to the existing facia. I can have my entire roof line (about 200') done in less than an hour. This years addition is just what your asking. I'm taking a 4x8 sheet of luan board and cutting it to fit the window so that about a two inch strip/boarder around the window will allow me to attach the lights to it with zip ties. I'll be able to get two big windows out of a single 4x8 at $8. Then I can just hang this over the window with no more struggling to attach the lights around the window while up on the ladder 12' up.

That might of been me. I mentioned awhile back that I made mine out of wood. painted them white and drilled holes into the wood. My house is brick so I used a hammer drill and a mason bit to put in anchors in the side of the bricks so not seen from the street. Then installed right angles to the frame and set the frame back from the front edge. Both frames have the letter "L" or "R" so I know which window and what is the top. Going to try to post a front and back picture.

Well looks like I am going to have to find another site to host my photos. Right now I have them on face book. Looks like I need to find out how to put them on this site via my media. Will try again later. Got some lights to put up before it gets to dark.

If you have a face book account, request to be my friend and I will friend you. You then can see the two photos of my window frames. I am just to dumb to know how to get photos into a thread reply. I see something about my media. But dont know how to upload to my media so I can then link to the reply.

Might have it now. Lets see?post-3532-0-31654500-1351041755_thumb.jppost-3532-0-09994000-1351041759_thumb.jp

Ok, at last this thick skulled German got it figured out. I have two strings of 70 count I think it was (not going to count) I had a few spare so I just tied them to the back. Used hot glue or RTV to keep them from backing out on me. The brown cord has the quick connectors to go directly to the control board.

Hope that helps..

Edited by Max-Paul

Just good old yellow pine and a good couple coats of paint. BTW I used a bisquet cutter and glued them bisquets into the corners. Hence no brackets in the corners keeping it all together. But if I didnt have one of them bisquet cutters then I would have used the brackets in the corner. Do love my wood working tools. Dont know what I was thinking before it got this tool.

Edited by Max-Paul

Just good old yellow pine and a good couple coats of paint. BTW I used a bisquet cutter and glued them bisquets into the corners. Hence no brackets in the corners keeping it all together. But if I didnt have one of them bisquet cutters then I would have used the brackets in the corner. Do love my wood working tools. Dont know what I was thinking before it got this tool.

Paul...my husband has more tools than Home Depot. I KNOW he has one cuz I bought him one. but are you going into brick?

Edited by paralegalnc

Paul...my husband has more tools than Home Depot. I KNOW he has one cuz I bought him one. but are you going into brick?

ya, if you look there are some right angle brackets mounted to the frame. I used my hammer drill and mason bit to drill some holes and then put one of those plastic anchors in the hole. The frame mounts behind this hole/anchor. But there is enough room left so that the wires and extra bulbs are between the wooden frame and the window. I dont know how your house is built, but mine has the bricks on the front wall and windows recessed. Will be mounting them in the next week. Will take pics then.

I have posted some pictures of the light frames I built last year. Pop out the screens and pop in the frames. It took 25 minutes to put up my window lights this year for Halloween.

- Started regular 1x3 lumber

post-2821-0-32224800-1351131541_thumb.jp

post-2821-0-65875300-1351131570_thumb.jp

Edited by Scott T

- Measure to fit the existing window frames without screens and built with Lap Joints

- Drill holes and used a lot of zip ties

- Started adding the rope lights

- Finished off with 4 colors

post-2821-0-23087300-1351131690_thumb.jp

post-2821-0-23667100-1351131818_thumb.jp

post-2821-0-60179000-1351131866_thumb.jp

post-2821-0-82631600-1351131901_thumb.jp

Edited by Scott T

and the girls plugged them all in. Yea!!!

** Just a note with rope lights . . . don't secure the zip cords really tight. The rope lights DO expand and contracts with the temperature. I had to go back a loosen some of mine and adjust the rope. You can see the extra in this picture before I fixed them.**

post-2821-0-97577200-1351131973_thumb.jp

Edited by Scott T

I do like the idea of the rope lights probably do that next year as I don't have anymore rope lights and I am going with all white around my windows this year because I have color everywhere else...but I do like that look. And I commend you for the color coded zip ties. :P