Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you install strobes into your Mega Trees?

Max-Paul

4th year and finally getting around to building my first mega tree. Its about 17' tall and then a 2.5' star on top (the 3D one). Well got a wild hair how I was going to take two strings with C9 sockets that I installed on each string. Funds where puttering out so I only got 20 strobes, so each string is 10 sockets. So, thought that I would just spiral these two strings on the outside of the vertical leg strings. What a mess!

I am thinking of adding more strobes next year (about 20 more). I am thinking of tieing them to the light strings that are the legs. I have 12 channels per color and each channel is two legs each, or 24 legs.

How did you install your strobes? All I know I am not going to do it this way next year. Heck might take them down and re-do the way I have these twenty now. But in the dark, they sure do give it that something extra at the end of the one show.

Strobes are like a potent seasoning. Best to shake out just small amounts of it.

Max I have 15 strobes and I did mine on the tree just as you described.I hooked to the top of the tree and walked around the tree. it works really well and it makes 15 strobes look like 30

I set up three strings of strobes. I just cut down standard store bought C9 strings to the number of sockets I needed. I hooked the ends to the hook head with zip ties, leaving the male ends hanging down. (I have a CLS Mega tree). Mine are inside the tree, and they just raise when I crank up the hook head with the rest of the lights. I used some light rope that I got from Home Depot to tie them to the upper circle.

I put each of the strings on a different channel, so I can active them at slightly different times. I have the LED strobes, and I'm not really happy with them.

I thread 4 strings (5 per string) down and weave across the middle to create a good scatter of strobes - looks good. i ALSO use 2 channels 2 offset the strings by 1 or 2 beats. This insures I don't have complete uniformity when they start to flash.

three strings (channels) of strobes, 8 to 10 strobes per.. just zigzagged across the strings of the megatree, seperate channels and On time give a more random look to them firing..

2 strings. all attach to bottom of the tree head that lifts up (using CLS stuff), and go from about half way out from the base up to the top, one string goes up and back down (so its actually like 2 seperate) the other is up only. about 25 strobes altogether. makes 3 points on the bottom and all come together at the bottom of the tree head

Max,

Mine are mounted on a PVC pipe and I insert them in the tower and zip tie them. I have three sets of them on the 30 foot tower. Fast and easy install.I can send you a pic of it next week when I install them.

Jeff

I used 25 count c-9 set and cut down to the length I needed and then made a loop at the top to hook them and then pulled off the sockets on the botton and used liquid tape on the vampire marks and tied them off at the bottom. Mine are on the inside of the tree with 4 strands. I also like to tie wrap the cable and strobe together to keep them all uniform.

Wayne

post-819-0-71511600-1351218026_thumb.jpg

Jeff, with your tower, you are so far ahead of me. Wayne, you have to be the first time I have seen anyone with their strobes pointing up. Hope that this is helping keep moisture out of them.

I think that next year, going to go with the idea of having two channels, but might be more than two actual strings. Just will double up on the two channels with two or more strings each. And I too have the CLS tree head with 16 hooks. and cable to the winch up the head. Think I will make multi runs with the sockets at different length from the top and place these at scattered locations around the tree. The problem I am having with doing the may pole around the strings is that the strings getting drawn in.

Thank you all for your suggestions and this is how I do it comments. Was just wondering if there was a better way. I sure was not happy with my first attempt.

I have a 32 ft. mega tree and use a three strands of strobes. I have found that if I tie fish line to the strands I can pull them around to various positions to break up any straight lines. I build the strands with SPT2 wire and space the sockets about every 5 ft.

post-1228-0-84219800-1351704172_thumb.jp

post-1228-0-56740400-1351770154_thumb.jpThose are 7.5" Round 100 count Starlight spheres. I have had these 4 years now and they are incandescent. They now have LED available but they are pricey at around You can see quite a selection at Novelty Lights. http://www.noveltyli...CFQKRPAodvDwA1g You can get several sizes and colors. They add a nice accent to your mega tree. When I bought mine they were in box stores at $12.99 each. Today they run from $12 to $20 based on quantity and supplier. The LED's are more expensive. Also look at 1000 Bulbs http://www.1000bulbs...rlight-spheres/ I use clear fishline to suspend these and do not tie them to any light strands. If you try to attach to your strands then the strand will sag at the attachment point. The fish line is cheap and you can't see it. Use 20# line at minimum.