Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega arch

shakeonit

Well we got the 110' mega arch up yesterday; in high winds no less, but I'm glad it's over and secure... now onto the easier stuff for the next month!

post-5479-0-21752400-1350925311_thumb.jp

post-5479-0-60542500-1350925311_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Well we got the 110' mega arch up yesterday; in high winds no less, but I'm glad it's over and secure... now onto the easier stuff for the next month!

That is AWESOME!!

how many channels? That is a big arch! :)

Just 6, there are 6 20' sections, and it just takes too much to try and get multiple channels per section, it is a beast to get up. Each of the sides touching the ground were shaved by 5', so that give us the 110'.

Based on the fact the backdrop is the sky, the lower number of channels works great, all the rest of my arches are based on 5 channels. Arches with a channel budget if you will.

http://vimeo.com/33005667

Edited by shakeonit

That's impressive. My wife's not gonna be happy I saw this. :) Not for 2012, but I'm already contemplating next year.

Can you explain how you built that? Materials, ect. I have a 65' arch, 16 channels that I have not put up yet. Looking for advise.

Spam!!!

I find this topic to be incorrect/mis posting.

It should read "Mega Mega Mega Arch"

Looks cool. Upload a video when complete. Good job

Can you explain how you built that? Materials, ect. I have a 65' arch, 16 channels that I have not put up yet. Looking for advise.

Sure... I measured the length and height I wanted the arch to cover, then searched the internet for an arch calculation, once I had that, I had the length necessary. I then got a friend's help (I refer to him as MacGyver) because he's very smart and resourceful. He told me what size pvc I would need to support that distance, weight, wind impact, etc., which is 2.5 inch. I needed 6 sections of 20' belled pvc to go across the span.

I wrapped lights around the poles and zip tied them. There were 250 LED lights per section, and I thought it might look a little thin, but it turned out great. I did overlay another 200 LED strand this year on top of them, because I now had some more.

I sand and oil (turbine oil) the end of the pipe, so it not only fits nicely, but comes out easily at the end of the season. I then connect 3 pieces, and use several guys to get it up in the air. I anchor down the pipe by fitting it over a 5' steel pipe put 1-2 feet into the ground, which the arch sits on. Then we tied rope about 25' up from the ground to the pipe, and pull away from the center and anchor it to steel fence post which helps it maintain the arc, and stabalizes it from moving. We do the same on the other side, then connect the 2 section on top the high point of the roof. That is the worst part. You don't have leverage standing on top the roof and the pipe is extremely heavy and not easy to manipulate. I finally worked the two sections together, and then used a wood brace (built on the spot by MacGyver), tied down the arch high point to it with rope (see attached pic of brace, you'll have to zoom).

The arch is tied off to the roof using eye bolts screwed into the roof. There are 6 points, essentially over the 3 peaks of the roof, and placed in front and behind the arch.

So that's 10 tie down points, 6 on the roof, 4 on the ground, it sits on 2 5' steel poles staked into the ground. Oh and did I mention a lot of prayer! Other things learned, it cannot touch the roof at any time, or the shingles will shred the light wires, and it will be a worthless endeavor. Just prior to putting it up, I connect my extension cords once the 2 sections are together on the ground and run the cords down the length of the pipe, where it can be plugged in at the bottom easily.

post-5479-0-30276900-1350936614_thumb.jp

Spam!!!

I find this topic to be incorrect/mis posting.

It should read "Mega Mega Mega Arch"

Looks cool. Upload a video when complete. Good job

The video is in the post above, or several more versions can be found on vimeo or youtube under "Baughman Christmas 2011". This years videos get posted in early December. I did test it last night though, and it lights up! Success two years in a row, now lots of prayer to keep it up there for the next 2-3 months and all working!

That's a very impressive display you got there. Looks like it took Alot of man hours to set that up.

At the :36-37 mark you could see one of your little elfs doing some last second adjusting. (^~^)

Love the it's all about Jesus sign.

very impressive arch !

Edited by miaskiewicz christian

• The topic was locked