Light-O-Rama Forums

CorrosionX

ShaggySS

I did a search to see what people say about this product but only really found people against the idea of using CAT5 as a source of power and data for DMX. I am using CAT5 with splitters and while its working great if I had to do it over again I would go with standard cable…too many issues. With that said it is raining today and while all my connectors are sprayed with CorrosionX how we’ll does this work? Many of my connections are running across the lawn and have 0 protection from the elements. Is it safe to turn them on? What experience can others share about their experience with this setup.

On your base question of Corrsosion X. I use a similar product and it does slow down the process of galvanic corrosion, that is it's main purpose. If you want to displace water, dielectric grease may do a better job. You just have to use it sparingly so you don't hydralically explode your splitter.

Cat5 with splitters. There are 2 schools of thought. I use them (splitters), and have had no issues. The DMX protocol now does allow for Cat5 cable as part of the standard. It is the splitters that folks argue about. I say use them, but if you start to have problems, it will become a nightmare to trouble shoot. I also use a lot of standard DMX cabled too. Be sure you terminate all your legs.

Power and DMX in the same cable, The main issue I see here is ensuring you have your pin out correct, and that you don't over power the wire.

As far as water and connections. This lies along the same lines as power too. Water will always get in, something like Corrosion X will help for sure. You want water to get out. It of itself is not a great conductor, it is the impurities that cause the issues. I live in the Seatlle area and we know a thing or 2 about rain that time of year.

thanks Mark.

Do you protect your connection from the weather in anyway?

I guess the final question would be should I be concerned about running my lights in the rain?

thanks Mark.

Do you protect your connection from the weather in anyway?

I guess the final question would be should I be concerned about running my lights in the rain?

Nope. At best I attempt to keep as many plugs or connectors directly off the lawn as possible.

If you are talking DMX lights, then yes, you need to weather proof them as much as you can.

Edited by zman

If it is RGB strip or pixels you got directly out of China, then you just have to go with it, and keep your fingers crossed. Others have found that those ratings are a "desired" rating and in some cases not reality.

The show ran last night after the crazy wind and rain here in Northern California. I had a splitter give me a bit of a headache and the terminator at the end of my 17 prop dmx string was causing issues on prop 10 and 11. Figure that one out. Removed the terminator and it worked. I will need to make a new one that is a bit more weather proof.

If you search here, there is a how to on creating one with a RJ45 jack, and CAT5 sheathing. You could protect it further by squirting hot glue in the end of the Cat5 sheathing. I think I have a copy in my One Note Christmas Notebook, I will check.