Light-O-Rama Forums

X-10 Help

Guest guest

I posted this question in the X-10 section, but didn't really get to many answers. I thought I would try it here.

I plan on running my show for 20 minutes, then having 20 minutes of a static show (and so on and so on), which is not controlled by the LOR units. The static portion will not be on during the LOR show, so I was looking into my options for turning those lights on and off with X-10. Now from my math, it will be just about 11 amps that I will be drawing for the static portion. All of my channels of LOR are taken, so I know I can't put use one of those. What do I have to do to get this started? What X-10 modules should I use, and how do I use the LOR software to control the X-10 stuff?

I know its a lot of questions, but I would like to really understand this.

Greg

Greg,

We meet again! (No, I'm not stalking you on the PC board.)

You need the FireCracker X10 unit. Do you have one of those? If so, you can just add the X10 unit(s) as another LOR channel(s) and then you can control it just kike any other channel. (Note that X10 response time is only 1 second so you have to account for that.)

I use X10 with LOR myself with good results. I only use it for stuff that comes on/off one or twice a night - like the radio transmitter, the Christmas tree inside, etc.

Oh, you'll need a second COM port for the FireCracker.

Edit: The amperage used is irrelevant for the LOR units. Just keep the amperage within the X10 ratings and you should be good to go.

Edit 2: You need the GOOD version of the LOR S/W to control X10. I don;t think anyone has the "other" version, but still...

In the sequence editor, right-click on the left axis channel and click "Properties". There you can tell LOR that it's an X10 unit and specify the codes.

Does that answer your question?

Alright...let me break this down.

If I get the FireCracker unit, then its like adding another channel of LOR. Correct?

So basically I have 32 channels, and adding an X10 unit will be me 33...kinda.

I was reading the LORWiki page...which I think I should make my homepage(:laughing:)...and it says that I should get the CM11A.

http://www.smarthome.com/1140.html

I put this by the outlet by my computer, connect it with the serial adapter, then program LOR to turn on and off with x10...? Then I put an outlet outside that the static lights plug into.

Will this work, and then I just need an outlet for outside...right?

Greg

I think the Firecracker and the CM11A are the same thing. If not, the CM11A is the thing you want.

Edit: And NO. It's NOT like adding another channel - it's like adding another 16 channels (per house code.)

Open the sequence editor and create a new one channel sequence. Click on the channel and select "Change channel settings." Under "Device Type", select X10. Create a 20 minute "on" sequence (or a shorter sequence and loop it) and add the new sequence to your show.

As Chuck noted, you will need the X10 defined on another com port.

*disclaimer*

I haven't actually done this before, but I think it will work.

edit: I need to type faster, you are about 5 posts ahead of me.

I use x10 to turn on and off some spot lights and other static lights between my shows. I use the cm11a. I created a little sequence just to turn on or off the x10 stuff and play the right one at the begining and end of each show. The only trouble I have is I think I have noise on my lines and can only find a couple outlets that the x10 will work from. I've tried outlets from both sides of the breaker box.

Greg,

I think you've got the picture.

There's just one more thing: when using X10, the signal will only go to units on the same side of the service. (Unless you get a bridge.)

What this means is that if you plug your CM11A into an outlet, it will only be able to control X10 units that are on the same side of the power service to you house.

I find this highly annoying but am usually able to work around it.

Confused? What it boils down to is: Open your circuit breaker panel. Now, figure out which side of the panel the outlet your CM11A is plugged into. Now, make sure you only plug in X10 units into outlets that are on circuits on the same side.

Fun ensues... ;)

Enjoy your extra channels!

:laughing:

Edit: I get the feeiling that Greg will use the X10 for evil purposes. Anyone else want to bet me that the lights in someone's bedroom in Greg's house start behaving erratically?

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

One last question and I promise I will leave you all alone...:laughing:

On that link that I posted... http://www.smarthome.com/1140.html

That thing that has an outlet in it, that goes by my computer, and gets connected via the serial port. Then I have get an appliance outlet and put that wherever the stuff I want x10 to control get plugged in. Correct or no??

Greg

Ponddude wrote:

One last question and I promise I will leave you all alone...:laughing:

On that link that I posted... http://www.smarthome.com/1140.html

That thing that has an outlet in it, that goes by my computer, and gets connected via the serial port. Then I have get an appliance outlet and put that wherever the stuff I want x10 to control get plugged in. Correct or no??

Greg

Greg,

You can use that one or get more. Just set them all to the same house code.

Edit: I use lamp modules as well and they DO dim! (You just can't really synch them because they, uh, suc...er...stink.)

I don't even know what a servo is...LOL

My next big project...which probably won't happen until next year...is a giant ball like they use on New Years Eve in Times Square. I will put the ball on the roof, and everytime the show starts it will drop and the show will begin when it hits "midnight"

We will tackle that project this time next year...LOL

Greg

Greg,

While it's probably not appropriate for your intended use, you may feel free to PM me about my pneumatics and other "toys" I use at Halloween.

I can probably get that ball a few feet into the ground quite easily!

Note that it probably won't follow a 10-second countdown! :laughing:

Edit: On a serious note: I think a "Shooting Star" might be EXACTLY waht you need! Check out my "How To" which should be done next weekend but just make "balls" instead of "stars" and arrange accordingly.

I think you could even pull that off THIS year! Pretty simple, really.

PM me for info/questions.

Here is my problem(s):
1...I am making a BIG toy factory with all the bells and whistle's out of coro...something like 12ft wide and 8ft tall.

FactoryDesign.jpg

2...I am out of power...for this year at least.

But in all honesty...I wanted to get the poles done, and make my "Listen To Sign" first, then on to the toy factory. We will see how that goes, and see where the good ole' fashion buget is at by the end of the summer. We wont totatlly rule out ball this year though.

Greg

Greg,

Not to throw a wrench in your mental spokes but...

The "Countdown Ball" will most likely be the only thing running at the time it's illuminated and will then shut off for the duration of the light show.

Hence, no power problems.

Go ahead, Greg. Make the ball.

If you make it, they will come. :laughing::laughing::laughing: