Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR extension cords

Guest guest

I am trying to figure out where the best place to put my LOR boxes this year. My question is, is there a maximum length for an extension cords to plug in the units? I plan on using 14 awg wire, and the distance is about 30 feet. Any idea if this is possible or if it will cause any problems?

Greg

Ponddude wrote:

I am trying to figure out where the best place to put my LOR boxes this year. My question is, is there a maximum length for an extension cords to plug in the units? I plan on using 14 awg wire, and the distance is about 30 feet. Any idea if this is possible or if it will cause any problems?

Greg

30 feet, 14AWG wouldn't worry me at all.

Greg,

What you need to consider more than anything is: 2 cords in, 16 cords out. Do the math and place them accordingly. :)

Of course, you need some common sense but, generally speaking, it's best to put them as close to the action as is feasible.

It depends upon the amp draw through the cord. 14 GA multiconductor is usually rated for about around 17 amps. In a household circuit they will often use 14 ga romex on a 15 amp circuit. Exceeding the amp rating will cause the wire to heat up and potentially burn through the insulation.

The highest amp draw I have for one side of the controller is 12 amps. So I think I am good with not having the cord burn up. Do you think that I should go do a heavier guage cord?

Greg