Light-O-Rama Forums

plugs

paralegalnc

Hi Max-Paul

I can understand concerns on using Thermostat wire.

I use a Class 2 product, 8 wire, 150volt rated, 18 guage,

Temp rating of -20°C to +60°C and Sunlight-Resistant.

When running mutliple wires to the same source, as leaping arches,

it makes it alot easier.

I have 7 arches to feed with 8 circuits each, 56 runs in SPT could be expensive.

But folks have to use what they are comfortable with, and work to their knowledge.

Thanx for the advice

Lou

Hi Max-Paul

I can understand concerns on using Thermostat wire.

I use a Class 2 product, 8 wire, 150volt rated, 18 guage,

Temp rating of -20°C to +60°C and Sunlight-Resistant.

When running mutliple wires to the same source, as leaping arches,

it makes it alot easier.

I have 7 arches to feed with 8 circuits each, 56 runs in SPT could be expensive.

But folks have to use what they are comfortable with, and work to their knowledge.

Thanx for the advice

Lou

I know everyone is harping on you about this wire but here are somethings you should consider.

• Is the wire class 2 or are you supplying it with class 2 power or both? If the wire is class 2 rated that means you must feed it with only Class 2 power or lower.. that means no 120v, only low voltage and your supply MUST NOT BE ABLE to supply more then 100 watts Max.
  • The insulation may be rated for 150vac but I can assure you that means in a dry location or maybe even damp location at the very best. That wire is not rated for wet location application. That would require a completley different jacket. (Hope you have it all on a GFCI)
  • What current protection are you using on that wire? You should not feed it with a standard 15 amp circuit breaker because that will afford you little protection against fire. That size of wire is rated for 2.3 amps for power transmission. That means you need to have protection of that caliber. If you are going to continue to use it anyway, you may want to consider putting a 1 or 2 amp fuse in line with each at the source.. or perhaps a single 2 or 3 amp fuse over all. (Still not ok to use it for the purpose you are using if for, but at least that would afford you some protection).

I know you didn't ask for our opinion on the wire, but I hope you understand why we are concerned. Sometimes the code is a bit over done for certain applications IMHO, but not on this one.

Have fun and be safe..

Craig