Light-O-Rama Forums

Decorating question

nucmed24

I have zip tied all my C7's to PVC pipe that will run up the sides of my house and garage. Is there a preferred way that people have the lights facing? Towards the street? Or the lights sideways against the house? I know its a stupid question, but the reason I'm asking is that no matter how many zip ties i put on, I can't get the lights in a perfect, straight row. Some of the lights will turn to the left or right, so was thinking of just having the lights sideways against the house, but was concerned they wouldn't look good.

Thoughts?

As william said it's personal preference. I've seen people face the lights to ward the street and seen roof lights pointed towards sky. They will look good either way!

NOW if you have a real bad case of OCD and nothing will make you happy unless all of the lights are in a straight line. Then you are going to have to do this several ways. I have seen someone that used a drill press and drilled the proper size holes that a socket would fit into tightly. Then used a table saw to rip down the middle of the board. then used screws to put the two back together. Left screws loose and put the sockets into the holes, then tighted the screws so that the sockets where snug. Reinstalled lights into sockets with them all facing the right direction. Problem with wood it is heavier and needs to be painted. Might find some way to do this with PVC pipe also. Or some kind of flat or angled material and use the clip on the socket. Just about impossible to get anything aligned on a round surface.

Guest Don Gillespie

The only question you need to ask your self is do they go blinky blinky when you plug them in, because at night when people are looking at your display they could give a rats pitooty if the lights are in a straight line or not.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to have them face sideways. As much as I want them straight, I am not OCD enough to go with one of Paul's suggestions. :) And I put them up yesterday and went out last night to decide, and it really makes little difference.

I'll see your "stupid question" and raise you one stupid question. :P How are you securing the PVC pipe to the sides of the house/garage?

Edited by Klayfish

I drilled holes through the pvc, and then screwed it to the trim boards on the side of my house. My house is two stories (the PVC is 18' tall.. two 9 foot sections with a connector between the two) and it took 6 screws for me to feel it was secured adequately.