Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing times

shfr26

Sequencing timr  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How long does it take you to do one minutes of a song? Lets say 48-128 channels?

• Less than an hour
    • 2-3 hours
    • 3-4 hours
    • Too many to count

This is brought up every year so I decided to do a pole. On average, how long does it take you to do 1 minute of a song. less than 128 channels?

Edited by shfr26

Pete - what does "doing a pole" have to do with your sequencing question? Or is this something you'd really rather not talk about?

Or are you doing a 128-channel pole and want to know how long it will take to sequence?

I'm heading out to wire my seven-pole matrix in the yard and then to "do" my six ordinary poles in the garage. I do my sequencing in the house, however...

Hope that info helps you in some way.

Edited by George Simmons

You don't have a "1 to 2 hours" option ;)

I voted...

Now someone needs to start a poll about a pole...

Pete - what does "doing a pole" have to do with your sequencing question? Or is this something you'd really rather not talk about?

Or are you doing a 128-channel pole and want to know how long it will take to sequence?

I'm heading out to wire my seven-pole matrix in the yard and then to "do" my six ordinary poles in the garage. I do my sequencing in the house, however...

Hope that info helps you in some way.

I just have no reply George, sorry. Well maybe, but I would get warnings points so no.

And Tim,

Can you start a poll on how to do a pole vs doing a poll? Thanks.

I am almost sorry I starded this thread :huh: , but lets have fun.

Edited by shfr26

Well I think it all depends on the song, my first year out it was taking me a very long time to do just a minute of a song, like forever, now depending on what I want the sequence to do, for 48, 64 or 80 channel sequences I can usually get something done anywhere from around 1 hour, but usually not more than 3-4 hours, 6 hours if I'm really tweaking it down..

Could you please add a selection for 3 months per minute?

Thank you,

Jeff :rolleyes:

PS I'll bet I won't be the only one who votes for it...

Boy Jeff, you are fast!!! This year it has taken me much longer than that!

Difficult to say : I have 64 channels with singing characters so I don't sequence linearilly and as I want the lyrics to fit perfectly with the mouths it takes a lot of time.

I've voted "Too many to count".

OK.. first off I just read this and the part about "what does doing a Pole...." yielded a quantity of coffee from my nose and water in my eyes for the next few minutes! :lol:

I did 136 channels last year and that was my first year. This year I am adding 96 more in DMX (maybe more if I get the props built in time). It took about 6-10 hrs for me to program a minute last year. I am a drummer so every hit just had to be right on the money.. so I did a lot of do overs.. (Wish I could just nudge a single effect on the time line..LOR??? )

So adding the 96 channels this year has taken about 6 hrs to add to a song. Lots of do and redo to not over do it!

Well I think it all depends on the song, my first year out it was taking me a very long time to do just a minute of a song, like forever, now depending on what I want the sequence to do, for 48, 64 or 80 channel sequences I can usually get something done anywhere from around 1 hour, but usually not more than 3-4 hours, 6 hours if I'm really tweaking it down..

why not let your cat do it since you said he is better and faster.. :o

Edited by GaryM

Interesting reading...both about the poles and racks and the sequencing. :D

I was kind of wondering this myself...about the sequencing that is. As a newbie trying to do just 16 channels, I've found that I've spent about 4 hours so far and I'm only 90 seconds into the song. I know I'll get better with experience, but I marvel at how you guys can sequence 84, 96+ channels. Don't you have to sequence a handful (or however many) for one feature..say a 3 color tree as an example.. all the way through the song, then start all over again for the next feature, on and on? I'd guess one song would take 20+ hours even for a veteran. Those of you who answered 2-3 hours, does that mean you can program a minute of sequencing for all 96 channels in 3 hours?

Edited by Klayfish

Guest Don Gillespie

160 channels in around 2-3 hours yup every element, then I stand outside when the show is on and treat people to free alcohol the way I got it figured is the drunker they are the better the show looks :P

I voted (Less than an hour), but I think my vote may throw off the curve a little. I have roughly 4,500 channels this year, but they're all RGB pixels. I sequence a lot of them in groups with big color fades and chases and such. I'm thinking about 4 hours per minute of music. Realistically, probably around 15-20 minutes per minute of music for 128 channels.

160 channels in around 2-3 hours yup every element,

Wow! How do you do it? Do you sequence large groups of channels at once? i.e. have 64 channels all doing a fade up, etc...

Wow! How do you do it? Do you sequence large groups of channels at once? i.e. have 64 channels all doing a fade up, etc...

You can't always believe what DonG says. :P