Light-O-Rama Forums

How to reseal a solder joint on RGB strips?

avery255

Just woundering how others reseal their solder joints on RGB strips? Are there any do's or dont's? I have had to replace a few small sections and just want to know what others have found to be the easiest way to do this.

Thanks

I've heard of people using a hot glue gun. Seems that would be a bit rigid.

I have used white liquid tape with good results. It takes a few hours (or over night) to set up fully but it remains fairly flexible.

There is also a spray-on liquid tape but I've only seen it in black. Would be a bit messy i would think.

There's always silicone, but make sure you get the right type. there's lots of gab on the forum about this.

tj

i use these and put a squirt of silicone in the cap first them when you put it together the silicone oozes out the 4 little holes and makes a perfect seal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicon-End-Cap-for-Tube-type-Waterproof-Led-Strip-SMD-3528-5050-300pcs-New-/110900238607?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&var=&hash=item19d22b590f

Someone here (sorry I can't remember who) did a bunch of tests on different sealants, and concluded hot glue was NOT a good option. Surprised me too because I've been using it in the past for other things too...

Someone here (sorry I can't remember who) did a bunch of tests on different sealants, and concluded hot glue was NOT a good option. Surprised me too because I've been using it in the past for other things too...

I think UV is a problem for a lot of these. I keep a can of Krylon clear UV protectant handy and shoot anything plastic that goes outside.

tj

For the last 2 years I have used clear heatshrink and then injected some non corrosive neautral cure silicone into the heat shrink, then i shrink and clean away any excess silicone that may come out of the ends.

It has been rock solid on a black tiled roof facing west in a hot aussie summer for 2 seasons and now moving into a 3rd season.

Hot glue remelts in warm weather I believe was the conclusion. Best not to solder sections in, very easy to bridge pads and short the controller. Use these to splice in a section:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170902388674?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648 Fill with the above suggested silicon or GEII silicon.