Light-O-Rama Forums

Sound problems with newest upgrade

plasmadrive

I am not sure this is the correct forum for this but here goes.

Since upgrading to 3.7 I added a LOR DMX controller. Now when I play back my shows with the added 96 channels of DMX I get some breaking up of the sound. If I turn off everything that I don't need to run the show in S3 it seems to be OK.. but this has never been an issue before. I actually have nothing connected but the DMX controller to the LOR USB to 485 adaptor.

My PC is plenty fast me thinks. Running Windows 7 Ultimate with Intel 2Quad CPU @ 2.83GHZ, 8 GB RAM, Realtek High Def Audio. My hard drive is an 850G ATA drive

So why is my sound giving me grief? It kinda sounds like a scratched record when it breaks up. It is not constant, but it happens in the same spot constantely. Some of those spots have no DMX output. I have not been able to put a finger on it other than the processing with S3 seems to be a problem.

I am not running a lot of other programs.. My CPU usage bar shows that I am hardly touching the processor power.

One more thing.. I am using a WAV file and not an MP3

Any ideas?

Craig

Edited by plasmadrive

Have you rebooted?

Oh yeah.. no change.

The sound issue actually sounds more like a broke speaker cone then a scratched record the more I listen to it.. But there is nothing wrong with my speakers. It is bugging the hell out of me..

Verify its an LOR problem or not first by running the audio manually via the computer. If its clear audio then bad when running it via LOR, start looking at the task manager to find out what's eating up the CPU time and see about removing processes that aren't needed.

last season I had a similar problem with my laptop. I found out it was when I turned off the wifi router the wifi card was searching for it and would like pause and stutter .so once I disabled the wifi card it plays fine. maybe something similair for you

What does it sound like in an mp3 format?

I don't use MP3 format because if you make changes to the audio file and re-save it, it becomes more lossy and distorted.

Verify its an LOR problem or not first by running the audio manually via the computer. If its clear audio then bad when running it via LOR, start looking at the task manager to find out what's eating up the CPU time and see about removing processes that aren't needed.

Doesn't happen any time but with LOR and like I said, only is some spots.. The computer and audio system are fine.

Still trying to find some sort of common denominator in the S3. I am not using that much computer power that I know of.. Still looking at that one..

last season I had a similar problem with my laptop. I found out it was when I turned off the wifi router the wifi card was searching for it and would like pause and stutter .so once I disabled the wifi card it plays fine. maybe something similair for you

I havn't actually tried this on my laptop, which is my show computer, and that worries me because this computer has far more power then the lapper..

The Average CPU useage is 3-8% peaking up to as high as 10-12% while running LOR. Physical Memory used is 26%

Edited by plasmadrive