Light-O-Rama Forums

Help With Big Show Planned For Use In 1 Or 2 Years

dollarchip7

Hi,

I am new to LOR hardware but not software. My main priority is to make a Bible wide Bible walk through (old testament and New testament) But to do this I need a large LOR network and I will keep posting new comments on here when I have more questions about my setup. But my first question is can I use a Network switcher like this one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052104&p_id=8747&seq=1&format=2#description and run my LOR network through it? Like so: Computer>USB>USB-CAT5 converter>CAT6 cable>Network Switcher>LOR controllers places all over a 3 acre lot. Is that setup possible?

Thanks.

P.S. The only thing that is a fact is that I'm doing this on a 4 acre lot (2 acres by 2 acres) With a house setup and the Bible walk-through.

Hi,

I am new to LOR hardware but not software. My main priority is to make a Bible wide Bible walk through (old testament and New testament) But to do this I need a large LOR network and I will keep posting new comments on here when I have more questions about my setup. But my first question is can I use a Network switcher like this one: http://www.monoprice...t=2#description and run my LOR network through it? Like so: Computer>USB>USB-CAT5 converter>CAT6 cable>Network Switcher>LOR controllers places all over a 3 acre lot. Is that setup possible?

Thanks.

P.S. The only thing that is a fact is that I'm doing this on a 4 acre lot (2 acres by 2 acres) With a house setup and the Bible walk-through.

Simple answer is no. That is an ethernet switch and you can't run LOR controllers off it, well at least not the CTB16PC controllers or any of the ~AC~ controllers. LOR Controllers are daisy chained via Cat5, the ports on these controllers ARE NOT ethernet compatibale and connection to an ethernet router may in turn destroy your controllers, the network hub, your PC and no telling what else it's connected too.

If I am incorrect, I'm sure someone here will jump in and let me know. But I really don't believe you can do this with the item you're thinking of using, mainly because the LOR network, again, IS NOT an ethernet network, even though LOR uses the same jacks and cat5e cables, there is a big difference between the two.

Hopefully someone may be able to give you an idea or suggestion on what you'll need to do to seperate out the controllers, but the only option I can think of are the LOR ELL units, which are going to cost quite consederably more than that router you're looking at..

Guest wbottomley

Using an ethernet switch on an LOR network will destroy your controllers and anything attached to it. If you need multiple LOR networks, you'll need multiple adapters (LOR-USB). RS 485 and ethernet are two different beasts.

You can run those controllers in DMX mode. Then use a E1.31 to DMX bridge to have 4-6 networks.

Edited by wbottomley

Ok thank you for all the information it was just a thought but what I may do is run the walk-through off one computer or stand alone and run the building off another computer and so on. The only thing I would love to do is learn how to use those Servo Dogs becuase I would love to have some moving pieces with this show.

I have another question is there any software other that LOR I can use with LOR controllers? I've been looking at Madrix (www.madrix.com) and you can run music and it sequences for you is there any other software like that I can use with LOR? By the way that software uses DMX so I wold need a DMX to RJ45 but I know all the hardware just want to know if theres other software like it but for free?

Thanks

I have another question is there any software other that LOR I can use with LOR controllers? I've been looking at Madrix (www.madrix.com) and you can run music and it sequences for you is there any other software like that I can use with LOR? By the way that software uses DMX so I wold need a DMX to RJ45 but I know all the hardware just want to know if theres other software like it but for free?

Thanks

There are a few programs out there for free that will run DMX hardware, and LOR controllers can run in DMX mode.

That said, there are a significant number of people who are building their own DMX hardware, but sequencing in LOR's software, since LOR's software tends to be considered the best for doing Christmas displays. If you're doing a huge display, don't skimp on software.

Yes I do understand that part but I'm not going to use other software for my display but I'm jus looking at these because it looks easier but its more costly. I just wanted this for my small shows that I am starting to do but I just thought Madrix was cool because when you play music through your mic input on your computer Madrix goes ahead and sequences it and sends it out as it's going in the video below shows what I mean.

I'm familiar with Madrix. It's a neat program but the way I like to run my display it isn't really geared toward that...