Light-O-Rama Forums

I am new to this!

wyomingrebel79

My name is Chris I have been doing light dispalys on my families homes since I was 12, I am now 33. I am wondering if anyone here has idea on what packakge I might buy to start with for my ideas this year. I have been reading about LOR for several years and have decided to buy some LOR products. I am just trolling for ideas. Thanks!!!!!

The Residential Starter Kit has everything you need to get up and running with LOR. If your wanting to get started in LOR, it's the easy way to go.

After that you just have to come up with some ideas, extension cords, 25 hours in a day, no sleep, and all of that other stuff. :)

• Like 1

The Residential Starter Kit has everything you need to get up and running with LOR. If your wanting to get started in LOR, it's the easy way to go.

After that you just have to come up with some ideas, extension cords, 25 hours in a day, no sleep, and all of that other stuff. :)

Don hit all the major points.

You will get used to the "no sleep" part as this hobby is very addicting and there is no cure as for now. But it is natural and quite common. ;)

Welcome aboard,

Tom

Hello Chris,

For my family, we purchased two CTB16PCs giving us 32 channels to start along with the SPK-ST starter package kit with the basic software. You might be OK with just one controller if you are on a tight budget. It seems pretty easy to upgrade in the future and for reasonable prices. But there is so much to learn in the first year we think this is plenty. If you want to expand, then wait for their sales in the future for better prices. GoodLuck!

so what do we say.... we have all have CLAP? I do have a Tshirt printing guy...I could do shirts. now you all have that going on in my head geez. But Chris welcome. I am a newbie here too. I looked at this stuff for two years and finally bought the starter kit. The problem is, it wasn't enough. I now have 3 controllers. And if that kid of mine didn't HAVE to go to college... and didn't HAVE to eat... I'd probably have more. (I will after Christmas)

but I agree with McCas- I hope you have already purchased? you will need lots of extension cords, zip wire, lord knows the number of strands of lights, patience, more hours, others to help, good planning skills and be willing to give up all other thoughts. Thats what this does to you. Now when I hear a song.... I see my lights going off in my head and trying to figure out how I'd sequence it. But when my tree started spinning during the test run.... I nearly cried. When the neighbor's 4 year old said "WOW Patty that's cool" .... kinda changed everything for me.

Don't do it! ;)

(see message under my channels display)

tj

wish someone had been so brutally honest with me! LOL my neice is in Witchita... she goes to WSU and is on their bowling team.

We actually did a run of T shirts earlier in the year over at the ACL forums with that on the back

Where is that forum? I'd love to get a shirt with that on it!

You could always go to one of those On-Line T-Shirt creation sites and just add the info, have then print it on there for you and voila, you have one.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the darn urls for the two sites I had that do this type of stuff.

Check this thread. I just received custom shirts from them. They look great. And a great price.

Aloha, I also got the CLAP. This is my third year and still learning. It's getting bigger and bigger. From one mega tree and now adding three weber trees. Changing everything again. Every weekend I get up at 6 a.m. to midnight. My wife knows I'm in the project zone and don't bother me. I have lunch and dinner with her and back in the garage. I sequence at work, my workers think I'm nuts. Listening to the same song, same song again, and again. When I get home, I watch alot of youtube. When you sleep you keep hearing the same song over and over. Four months of sequencing and I still think it can be better. Even if you copy someone elses sequence, it might work but mostly not with your props. First year 2 controllers, second year 4 controllers, this years 6 controllers and need one more. I'm begging my wife for another controller. You know when you get the CLAP when you raid Home Depot, K-Mart, Target, Costco for cases of extension cord and lights. I get the cashier asking me if i'm reselling them. Next time I'll tell her I get the CLAP. LOL Aloha

Edited by Bcspy

so what do we say.... we have all have CLAP? I do have a Tshirt printing guy...I could do shirts. now you all have that going on in my head geez. But Chris welcome. I am a newbie here too. I looked at this stuff for two years and finally bought the starter kit. The problem is, it wasn't enough. I now have 3 controllers. And if that kid of mine didn't HAVE to go to college... and didn't HAVE to eat... I'd probably have more. (I will after Christmas)

but I agree with McCas- I hope you have already purchased? you will need lots of extension cords, zip wire, lord knows the number of strands of lights, patience, more hours, others to help, good planning skills and be willing to give up all other thoughts. Thats what this does to you. Now when I hear a song.... I see my lights going off in my head and trying to figure out how I'd sequence it. But when my tree started spinning during the test run.... I nearly cried. When the neighbor's 4 year old said "WOW Patty that's cool" .... kinda changed everything for me.

wish someone had been so brutally honest with me! LOL my neice is in Witchita... she goes to WSU and is on their bowling team.

Small world...

tj

Hello Chris, welcome to the greatest group of "just not right" people on the planet! :)

At least one (really, two) CTB-16PC, Partially assembled controller(s) .. why two?

Because you're gonna say the same thing Roy Schieder said about going out looking for Jaws,

"we're gonna need a bigger boat",

only you'll say,

"I'm gonna need more channels"

and then it'll be crunch time and you wont get the second controller in time..

and why partial assembled? Because it'll save you $50 over the fiully assembled board.. that'll be $50 you can save for a third controller. To finish the partially assembled kit, you plug in the power cords, plug in the dongles, tighten a couple clamps and you're done. Well worth $50, right?

Starter Kit, (RS485, cat 5 cable,S3 (and I would reeeeally suggest at least the Standard License level). The Advanced tho (know its a chunk o' change) gives you the Instant Sequencer.

Edited by TJ Hvasta