Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM Transmitter Questions

mcnamara9

I'm looking to purchase an EDM transmitter to replace my FM25B. A couple of questions:

• What is the difference between the Basic series and Pro series of transmitters (I know the pro series has an RDS option and a non RDS option). Does one transmit clearer or farther than the other?
  • How much soldering is required to assemble the kits? Is it complex or time consuming?
  • Is the antenna the kits come with sufficient or do you need to purchase the "rubber duck antenna for $12"?
  • Is there a switch/setting that allows you to control how far you project the signal with these transmitters?
  • Has anyone had a problem using the RDS transmitter with the mp3 Director rather than a PC?
  • Anyone know of someone who sells the EDM transmitters already assembled?

Thanks everyone.

Brian

I'm looking to purchase an EDM transmitter to replace my FM25B. A couple of questions:

• What is the difference between the Basic series and Pro series of transmitters (I know the pro series has an RDS option and a non RDS option). Does one transmit clearer or farther than the other?
    I believe one is LED and 1 is LCD
  • How much soldering is required to assemble the kits? Is it complex or time consuming?
    IIRC, it was 3 pins on the power connector, took longer for the soldering iron to warm up.
  • Is the antenna the kits come with sufficient or do you need to purchase the "rubber duck antenna for $12"?
    I've used the test antenna for 3 years without a problem, but some say you need an antenna
  • Is there a switch/setting that allows you to control how far you project the signal with these transmitters?
    Yes
  • Has anyone had a problem using the RDS transmitter with the mp3 Director rather than a PC?
    As far as I know, RDS won't work with the director.
  • Anyone know of someone who sells the EDM transmitters already assembled?
  • Nope

Thanks everyone.

Brian

• Like 1

In most's opinion, there are 3 options from EDM:

EDM-LCD-CS-EP

EDM-TX-LCD-EP

EDM-LCD-RDS-EP

The last 2 are the same transmitter, but one has RDS. The CS model is their newer (2 yrs now?) model where they downgraded the specs a little. It seems those that have used it have been pleased. So in my mind, it would be between the CS and the RDS model. This describes the logic of the CS model:

EDMLCDCS1.jpg

I have had the RDS model for the past 3-4 yrs, and very pleased. RDS is a luxury--not a necessity. I use a mini-director with it. The transmitter can store a few lines of stored data that it will broadcast through RDS (so it doesn't even rely on the director). Mine says something like: "Welcome to [name of display]! Merry Christmas!" It just repetitively scrolls. The advantage of using a computer to run the show is that you can stream live data to the transmitter to broadcast (such as the title of each song that is playing at the time).

Assembly is a joke. I don't solder, and completed the job in 3 minutes, mainly because I re-read the instructions 3 times. Took longer for the soldering gun to heat up. A monkey could do it. Don't stress that one bit, even if you have never soldered in your life. Everybody that has ever asked about this (or inquired about assembled models), including myself, and then tried it themselves have all agreed--it is easy. See page 3 here for photos of what you do: http://www.edmdesign.com/manuals/STEREO-TX-LCD.pdf

I just use the test antenna for mine, and it is more than fine. Transmits very clear for very far (1/4-1/2 mile).

Better hurry if planning for this year. Shipping takes a few weeks. Their customer service is good, so they could give you an estimate of arrival time.

• Like 1

I don't understand why people seem to be so concerned about how far you can transmit?

IMHO, you don't want any trouble with the FCC, and 1/2 a mile is too far. Can someone that far away even see the display?

I'm only concerned with the cars on my street that may be looking at my display. I have an EDM transmitter, but I always keep it on the low power setting.

Jerry

• Like 1

I have used mine for 3 years. My RDS message is static (same message all the time). I use the low power setting. I did build a dipole antenna.

Love it!

Edited by Scott T

I use mine with the wire antenna in my attic. The unit sits in the center of my attic. On the lowest power setting, the signal is clear for a radius of around 250 feet. To me that's perfect because if you're farther than that, you couldn't see my house. If I tried to transmit farther than that (I could if I changed my setup) then I would be just damn silly! :wacko:

I don't understand why people seem to be so concerned about how far you can transmit?

IMHO, you don't want any trouble with the FCC, and 1/2 a mile is too far. Can someone that far away even see the display?

I'm only concerned with the cars on my street that may be looking at my display. I have an EDM transmitter, but I always keep it on the low power setting.

Jerry

Jerry, I am always thinking the same thing ;-)

Some people just seem to be obsessed with transmitting to the moon in case some one up there can see the house

Jerry

Jerry, I am always thinking the same thing ;-)

Some people just seem to be obsessed with transmitting to the moon in case some one up there can see the house

I am curious where in this thread you see anybody being obsessed with transmitting to the moon? Or even recommending that for that matter?

Fortunately the 2 posts above yours, Jerry, probably helped the OP and answered his questions quite specifically and thoroughly.

Can anyone point me to the thread I swear I saw concerning connecting the EDM transmitter to your computer for loading the software on the actual transmitter? I'm using a laptop and don't have the exact port (only USB ports) for connecting the D89 EDM RDS 1.2 connector. My question is can I go USB to the mini-usb on the transmitter and successfully load the software? The EDM-PIRA site is vague to me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Buzz

How do you change the transmit distance. I build a dipole antenna and put it I'm my attic and it will broadcast at least a mile. That's way to far.

Paraphrasing the mexican bandits from Blazing Saddles. You dont need no stinking dipole in your attic. Why not use the test antenna? Did you even try the test antenna? A good number of people think that they just going to need that external antenna. And never just try the test antenna. I have the telescoping antenna that came with my radio and it is more than enough. yet many would cry out that you cant do the job with that cheap antenna. Do any of you remember the range you got with your walkie talkies and that cheap telescoping antenna?

Can anyone point me to the thread I swear I saw concerning connecting the EDM transmitter to your computer for loading the software on the actual transmitter? I'm using a laptop and don't have the exact port (only USB ports) for connecting the D89 EDM RDS 1.2 connector. My question is can I go USB to the mini-usb on the transmitter and successfully load the software? The EDM-PIRA site is vague to me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Buzz

The mini USB connector on the RDS model is not USB. It is I2C, SPI, or something like that. They actually use bit banging on the serial port status pins to communicate. Some USB to serial port adapters that provide complete access to the status pins will work fine. The Gold-X brand ones seem to work fine for example.

Buzz

Buzz,

You don't need to load any software to the EDM transmitter. The mini USB connector is used to communicate with the transmitter's RDS chip. If you're not doing RDS, you don't need to connect it at all.

That said, take a look at the following thread. There's some discussion on the usage of RDS, including a recommendation of an alternate cable if you don't have a DB9 port on your PC.