Light-O-Rama Forums

DUH!

75redman

Hello all..... Just wanted to post this for all the noobs. MAKE SURE you back up your sequences! I've been on this forum since March of this year and have been reading and consuming a whole lot of info. Over and over people have said back up your sequences. Well, I ignored this advice and it bit me in the butt. I just updated my version to 3.8 and after that, one of my sequences was most of the way erased. Thankfully it was only one.

So I say again Back Them Up! :o

And yes they are backed up now. :P

Before you do *anything* else, check the directory where the sequence was saved. There is probably a .bak file there. If you are lucky, it might get you back to where you were (you'll have to rename the file (and extension)).

Before you do *anything* else, check the directory where the sequence was saved. There is probably a .bak file there. If you are lucky, it might get you back to where you were (you'll have to rename the file (and extension)).

Thanks. Tried that and nothing. I guess it's going to be a late night.

I have seen these warnings on a couple threads. You all have me paranoid and rightly so. I now have multiple back-ups. Copies at home, work,.............

And it's just not the newbies this happens too. It happens to veterans too. Life happens too quick and sometimes we forget.

I've been there a few times since 2005.

I nice reminder goes a long way in this hobby.

I have seen these warnings on a couple threads. You all have me paranoid and rightly so. I now have multiple back-ups. Copies at home, work,.............

And I've done the same thing for years. Can't be too careful with the time we spend on these sequences.

I'll throw in... save "while" sequencing, not after (saving it creates your .bak file). I've lost stuff during sequencing in the past and its painful.

Work it an hour, save it. Work it an hour, save it. That's my practice anyway.

I made this mistake recently, I had backed up 6 of my songs and music. Then had 6 more that i didn't bother to back up, was actually getting ready to back them up and had to head to work. Came home a computer wouldn't turn on, picked up a nasty virus and lost 6 whole sequences. Now scrambling to redo some

Please back up everyone - it's the same threads year after year and it seems to really not sink in until it hits you personally (I know that's what it took to keep me backing up, although it wasn't sequences I lost but my firstborn's baby pictures (among other things))

I have a friend that lost all his pictures for the first three years of his child to a hard drive crash. It cost him $3K. But he was able to ship his drive to someone who disassembled it and installed the drums (or whatever they are) into a new drive. They were able to recover 90% of his pictures.

I have a friend that lost all his pictures for the first three years of his child to a hard drive crash. It cost him $3K. But he was able to ship his drive to someone who disassembled it and installed the drums (or whatever they are) into a new drive. They were able to recover 90% of his pictures.

I was an idiot and almost lost a couple thousand photos as well. "Only" cost me about $1000, but still an expensive lesson I've learned. I now have redundant backups of key stuff. Poor man's version, but I have a couple of portable drives I back stuff up on and keep one at work in my desk drawer. Every month or so, I swap the one at work with the one at home. Poor man's off site storage.

If anyone is looking for a foolproof, inexpensive backup plan that you don't even have to think about or remember to do anything at all, I highly recommend backblaze.com

Edited by Tim Fischer

I back up all of the LOR files onto a flash drive, which is then copied to my laptop. Plus, I've got an automated backup taking place to a formal backup drive...therefore 4 copies of all files.

Does lor have a backup utility for all the settings and preferences...... the would be cool for two things....

1. It would backup everything in event of computer failure

2. it would allow portability between sequencing computer and show computer

Does lor have a backup utility for all the settings and preferences...... the would be cool for two things....

1. It would backup everything in event of computer failure

2. it would allow portability between sequencing computer and show computer

They do not have a utility specifically written for LOR data files.

I was think more related to software features. If i make a change to settings... I have to remember to so it on my show computer too. It would be nice to be able to export all my network settings and defaults and restore them into to the show computer. Sequences could be bundled too.