Light-O-Rama Forums

Lor Hardware Question

Coppell

Hello, i am new to LOR as this will be my first year using it. I always like to be on the safe side, as i will be have surge protection on all 3 of my light o ramas, but was wondering if a channel overloaded and went over 8 amps (if it shorted) what would be the problem. Would one of the 2 fuses blow, would the GFCI trip and leave the LOR unharmed? Would the Triac for that channel fry? Or would my light o rama board be done for. Thanks as i really appreciate knowing, incase i need to purchase some GFCI's or have a box of quik acting ceramic fuses laying around. Or if i need to hotglue all my connections to lights. Thanks for the help, like i said im new, and i dont want to ruin a ligh o Rama.

-Brian

It all really depends on the problem that occurs. As any of what you mentioned can happen. I would think the most likely would be a GFCI trip providing you're using one, then a blown fuse. If a triac or an entire board fries, that could be due to a number of problems, until any of this happens, all you can do is use GFCI's, keep plenty of spare 15A Fast Acting Ceramic Fuses on hand and hope nothing gets past those two items.

They would be the primary two {my opinion} that would keep your controller safe from harm.

But like said, there are other factors and there is no way to really know what may cause a triac to go bad or a component on the board itself, just try and do the best you can and use common sense when plugging in mutltiple items on a single channel or extension cords together to reach that item in yoru display.

Other than that, not much else I or anyone else may be able to tell you.

God Luck and Welcome to the Hobby.

Guest wbottomley
based on what i recall of the triac specs,,theres a littl headroom.

You're exactly right Gary. On the older version controllers, 16 amps would be the limit for a triac. With the Gen 3 units, it's 25 amps.

That was it...thanks.

So maybe a fuse blows, but cant imagine why a gfi would pop if its purely a channel overload situation.

Maybe orv can clarify, i know he has a ton of electronics background with the space shuttle and stuff, so i might be missing something..or showing my ignorance.

Sure, there is headroom on the triacs. Though I had one last year go out, and there were only 1 or 2 strands of LED's on the board. No fuses blew, no other triacs blew out, just that one.

Seems electronics like to fail, regardless of how well we build them.

So thats likely just a triac failing, luck of the draw, i would assume.

Now that I think about it, also had a triac go out year one due to an electrical issue. Luck of the draw, I guess.

and if you do blow a fuse before trying to change it while holding that flashlight UNPLUG THE LOR FROM ALL POWER SOURCES

• Like 1

It all really depends on the problem that occurs. As any of what you mentioned can happen. I would think the most likely would be a GFCI trip providing you're using one, then a blown fuse. If a triac or an entire board fries, that could be due to a number of problems, until any of this happens, all you can do is use GFCI's, keep plenty of spare 15A Fast Acting Ceramic Fuses on hand and hope nothing gets past those two items.

They would be the primary two {my opinion} that would keep your controller safe from harm.

But like said, there are other factors and there is no way to really know what may cause a triac to go bad or a component on the board itself, just try and do the best you can and use common sense when plugging in mutltiple items on a single channel or extension cords together to reach that item in yoru display.

Other than that, not much else I or anyone else may be able to tell you.

God Luck and Welcome to the Hobby.

Orville, you might want to update your knowledge base:

GFCI Fact Sheet

What is a GFCI?

Another video

Thanks for the help everyone! I will be sure to keep some fuses ready and gfci protected. I will get back to you on how well it works! Thanks!

Oh and one more question, what are exactly the triac specs as in how many amps, so if i need to buy more, i have the CTB16PC. Is there somewhere where all the specs are listed for the LORs? Also i assume the fuses are 15 amp?

-Brian

Guest wbottomley

Oh and one more question, what are exactly the triac specs as in how many amps, so if i need to buy more, i have the CTB16PC. Is there somewhere where all the specs are listed for the LORs? Also i assume the fuses are 15 amp?

-Brian

On the Triac itself.

To rephrase some of the answers above:

A GFCI does not protect equipment. Its only purpose is to protect a human from being electrocuted.