Light-O-Rama Forums

might be useful

TitusCarnathan

while I was fighting to get lights in a big tree of mine I decided to look for a longer painters pole found this site http://www.telescoping-pole.com/all-pole-page.asp#DLX they have 20 +ft poles they also have an attachment just for lights If i do order one I am hoping the attachment I got from a cheezy kit a lowes will fit

two 10' pieces of EMT conduit seems a lot cheaper--Get a 1/2" one and a 3/4" one. The one smaller in diameter will slide into the larger one. About 18" from the end of the 1/2" section, wrap duct tape about 10 times around, making a stopping point on it since it won't fit into the 3/4" conduit at that point. Tape some sort of hook(s) on the end (I have a rubber coated bike hanger hook on mine) for holding the strings. All for less than $5.

Menards has them fairly cheap. I believe mine was about $15 for a 16' pole. It's aluminum, making it fairly light, which makes a big difference when you're standing on the top of a ladder waving a huge pole above you :)

Just a word of caution -- be careful if there are any power lines that are around the area where you are using these metal poles.

Jerry

Just a word of caution -- be careful if there are any power lines that are around the area where you are using these metal poles.

Jerry

This is very true. depending on the voltage of the line. If you are near a transmission line you have about 10' before you become thanksgiving dinner. (don't be that guy that everyone knows that died from is hobby)

Smaller distribution lines is much smaller 5-3' range.

Either way stay as far away as possible.

Edited by dknahoolewa

Yes I can agree on that use caution around every line including the insulated triplex cable (overhead powerline that goes from the main lines to your house) otherwise death or serious injury may result

even though the triplex is insulated the reason you want to try to stay away from it is in case you hit it you could nick the insulation and then could become barbecue

I attach a re-purposed half length paint roller to use as a hook. Limits a lot of climbing.

• The topic was locked