Light-O-Rama Forums

Outlining windows with rope lights?

symphony

For the first time this year we're hoping to do window outlines in rope lights like seen on many videos of christmas displays however I wanted to ask for some advice -

do you do the window itself (ie above the sill, inside right by the frame) and, how do you clip the lights on there?

Thanks to anyone who can help! :)

You didnt mention what material your house is built from. I for example have a brick front of my house. I drilled 4 holes per window. Built wooden frames and installed right angle brackets. Put anchors in the 4 holes and then screwed the frames into those anchors. Now I am using a multi color strings and drilled holes in the frame so that the M6 lamps are poking through towards the road. But you could paint your frames white and then add your rope light to the frame. With the frame being white it will reflect the light towards the road.

Just one idea, sure more will chime in shortly.

I also have a brick home. I made a 1/2" pvc frame and attached my rope lights to the frame itself. I just attach about 6 12" cable ties down from the soffit and attach it to the top of the pvc frame, more or less it floats over the windows. I attach the side and bottom of the frame with brick clips just to keep the wind from blowing them away from the house.

I took an entirely different approach. I wanted the frame to be part of my overall look instead of trying to hide it. I used exterior grade ¼” plywood, glued, nailed, primed and painted, and then added light rope on top to give the appearance of piped icing for a gingerbread house. Each frame is secured to the house with one hanger bolt at the top of the frame. Each one is so light; I can lift it and secure it with a wing nut using one hand. The frame's bottom is secured by a string held in place by the closed bottom window.

My advice is to never use the plastic clips that usually come with light rope. So many broke that I replaced all of them with self-adhesive zip tie mounts, each secured with a small screw. The adhesive by itself isn’t strong enough to hold the weight of the rope during the cold winter season. I wish I had known that during construction!

post-3901-0-08260300-1350314774_thumb.jp

thank you all for the responses! :)

I hadn't realised people build actual frames - the front of our house is smooth- looks liek this;

DSC_0103.jpg

What you can't see in the photos is that the wall which each window frame is in extends out from the window by a few inches.

Edited by symphony

• 1 month later...

As an update to this, what we decided on in the end was to have the rope lights put on aluminium posts, and tied at angles.

We have an electrician who did this for us, however it will not be until next week that he comes to put them up due to a death in his family, so fingers crossed that they work well - will post photo updates when they are up! :)