Light-O-Rama Forums

Bill Foley - Friend, Gentlemen, Mentor, Ambassador

zman

It is with a saddened heart that I inform the decorating community that we have lost one of the truly golden nuggets amoung us. On Friday, Bill Foley lost his battle with Cancer. While some may not know the name, those who have been around this hobby for a while will remember Bill as one of the early pioneers and innovators in the hobby. He was there in the early days of LOR, as it was getting off the ground. I think Bill may still have one of the original LOR controllers that Dan conceived and built, years ago.

Those of us in the northwest had a special tie to Bill, and his lovely wife Nancy. They have always been so gracious, hosting our annual gathering, in what I still believe is one of the truly outstanding venues for any type of meeting. They allowed us to convene in thier home on the banks of Lake St. Clair in Olympia Washington. Bill had a play shop, and a light inventory that was alway our envy. He was always working on something, was a wealth of knowledge, had a great sense of humor, a brilliant business man who understood what a handshake meant.

I lost a friend and mentor. One of the kindest, most giving souls I have come to know, period. Our community lost one of it's ambassador's, and the world has lost a true gentle man.

Edited by zman

I am speechless. Bill was a great guy. I can't believe this. He will be missed. Please give Nancy my condolences.

What a sad day!

This is terrible news. I'm always saddened to see a display go dark for any reason. But when a decorator dies... that's heartbreaking.

I'm deeply saddened to hear this news. Bill was a scholar, a gentlemen, and a great friend...with a truly giving heart. He will be missed and I'll be keeping him in my prayers. We collaborated on the first coro-hybrid together, and with my drawings in hand, Bill welded the frame and sent it to me here in Chicago. I have always cherished that frame..and now I will cherish it all the more, as a remembrance of a good friend. Thank you for letting us know Mark...

What most folks that have never been to Bills home are not aware of is his love for Fire Engines! So much in fact that he has one in his living room - I KID YOU NOT! And then there is his collection. Fire rigs, one or two of a kind old trucks - I mean OLD. Collectables up the gazoo. If you were privileged enough to see the collection that he and his family maintained you were blessed.

Bill was a wonderful guy. He enjoyed his ingenuity and craftiness building things. He had a special way to make you feel at home around him.

If I’m not mistaken, and Dan please correct me here if I am wrong, Bill was Dan’s first LOR distributor.

You’ll be missed Bill.

Edited by Papa-LF

If I’m not mistaken, and Dan please correct me here if I am wrong, Bill was Dan’s first LOR distributor.

I believe you are correct.

Sorry to hear of his passing. Can't even imagine how rough this Christmas season will be for his family.

Edited by Don

I'm deeply saddened to hear this news. Bill was a scholar, a gentlemen, and a great friend...with a truly giving heart. He will be missed and I'll be keeping him in my prayers. We collaborated on the first coro-hybrid together, and with my drawings in hand, Bill welded the frame and sent it to me here in Chicago. I have always cherished that frame..and now I will cherish it all the more, as a remembrance of a good friend. Thank you for letting us know Mark...

Carrie, I got to see Father Christmas as a WIP and discussed why Bill did some of the things he did. I still admire that piece, Most don't know a lot of the work he did for his bro-in-law, Gary, and the pneumatics he did for his Warner Bros, charactors.

A very sad event, rip Bill. Nancy and family, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Daryl and Merry Anne B.

Never met him in person, but do believe I had communicated with him here on the forums. Just from those communications you knew Bill was a special person in the vast universe. Always willing to help with info. He will be missed,

May you decorate the heavens with your talents Bill Foley, R.I.P.

And our condolences to your family and closest friends.

Orville & Marcia Fugitte

Bill helped me get my start in LOR. I bought my first controller starter package from him this year. It was good to get to know him and his wife at this years meeting. Though I didn't have much time to get to know Bill, I too will miss him. The Northwest has really lost someone special.

My condolences,

-Matt Ross

Rest in Peace Bill. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family and friends.

He will be missed greatly!!!

Thanks Zman.

Bill was a super guy. I mentioned to him that I was looking for a small star for my Gremler tree. The next week, much to my surprise, there was a perfect, six sided star delivered by UPS. Bill just doing what he does best, caring about others.

He will be missed.

Glenn

Rest in peace Bill. I was truely blessed to have met you. Nancy, my thoughts and prayers are with you and tour family!

Mike