Light-O-Rama Forums

Bring on the LIGHTS!

rainyoregonchristmas

My EDM arrived in the mail today! I was starting to worry that it would never arrive. I feel really blessed that I could step up to all of the recommended equipment on my first year. Let me tell you it has not been easy. If it was not for all of the advice on these forums I would have given up and labeled it impossible.

So where do I stand now a year after I started in this pursuit?

I will start my first year of animation with 64 channels, 13,000 lights, 3800 ft of extension cords (gathered over years), an EDM transmitter, 1- 8 channel arch, 2- 8 channel fire sticks (same channels for both) 12 hand crafted snow flakes, 4-200 light incan trees, 5 strobes, a 12 channel mega tree with a 3 channel start topper, 62 dripping icicle sticks, and somewhere I'm sure there is a partridge in my pear tree.

All of this took literal blood, sweat, tears, 40 pounds of flesh, a lot of stuff sold from my garage and some bartering (Thank you Pikadroo). I was even a Newbie Scholarship winner. ( Thank You all who gave).

Now as it stands I am in a position to give back. I've already selected a neighbor to receive my Mr. Christmas to animate their display this year. Most all of my neighbors are now excited for Christmas as I have offered to hang their lights too as a peace offering to make up for the seasonal disruption my display will most likely cause to their lives.

I love this hobby as it fosters a willingness to give back! What other hobby does that?

Again, thanks to all who have made this possible.

-Matt Ross

RainyOregonChristmas

...and the entire Ross Clan...

just as

don said wait until you light them up and have kids and adults ooooooing and aaaaahing over your lights

Hope all goes well when you flip the switch! It's a thrill when it all finally comes together. This is my third year and I still can't wait to flip the switch! :rolleyes:

Good Luck on and with everything. I just hope you don't have any groaners and complainers like Kevia aka Cracker did that was able to get the HOA to shut down his display. So sad when some people do things like that, and sure hope you don't have a HOA in your neighborhood that could do that to you from the groaners and complainers.

But it's great you're offering to help hang the neighbors lights, that in itself should help though some of those hurdles that some of us encounter along the way at times.

No HOA here!

YEAH!

I've taken the time to let all the neighbors know what's coming. I've got two asking for signs for their yard. One next door wants a "<-- Ditto " and another across the street wants a sign that says " <- Me Too." I even have a cords timers and lights to light up five of the trees in our cul de sac. I had the MR C. last year with about 6,000 lights so they kinda have an idea of what's coming.

No HOA here!

YEAH!

I've taken the time to let all the neighbors know what's coming. I've got two asking for signs for their yard. One next door wants a "<-- Ditto " and another across the street wants a sign that says " <- Me Too." I even have a cords timers and lights to light up five of the trees in our cul de sac. I had the MR C. last year with about 6,000 lights so they kinda have an idea of what's coming.

Yep, I let all my neighbors know what was coming this year starting for Halloween. So far so good, displays been running since 10/1/2012 nightly and they are all loving it.

I just gave away my Mr. Christmas 4 channel wireless unit to a neighbor, so he's going to use it this year for his Christmas set up. He's thinking of getting into the LOR controllers in the future, especially after seeing what all you can do with them via my Halloween Display. And I've already let him know what he's in for if he does get into LOR. More computer time and less family time. LOL

Just previous static displays for me here and I'm on the POA committee. I asked all the neighbors and they are looking forward to what will happen this year. I too, can't wait to start the first show. Actually, inviting the whole neighborhood over and will select one kid to push the button and start the show...can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

Just previous static displays for me here and I'm on the POA committee. I asked all the neighbors and they are looking forward to what will happen this year. I too, can't wait to start the first show. Actually, inviting the whole neighborhood over and will select one kid to push the button and start the show...can't wait!

I am excited too. We invited the mayor, police chief, sheriff, media....

There's only one other family in this entire large area that does lights to music and they are well known. Only the couple of neighbors here know what I'm going to do so will keep it here. Since this is my first year, I truly don't know how its going to look as I've been sequencing via the visualizer only. Maybe I'll invite them next year if this year's display/show turns out nice.

I was thinking of helping my neighbor out with my Mr Christmas too, and running it with a MP3 Player tuned to my station...oh my lots to do!

The build begins this coming Thursday! Can't wait for it to all work. I've actually have controller #1 outside right now to run some simple animation for part of the Halloween lights. The lady of the house said it was easier to connect them to a controller than lots of electrical 3-way adapters. Of course, she complained about the dimming, saying some were dimming all the way off making it look like there was a power problem. Had to remind her that they dim right back up again too. They might be off for two seconds at the most.