Light-O-Rama Forums

More than 30amps?

Guest guest

I know that as long as you don't have more than 30 amps (15 amps a side and/or 8 amps per channel) on a one time, the LOR controller will be fine. What I'm wondering is do other people in Planet Christmas connect more than 30 amps to their controller and just make sure they don't turn more than the controller can handle at any one time?

For example: Someone may outline their whole house in White and then want to "double up" and outline in blue. In this example, say they both take 25amps. So as long as you don't turn on all the blue and white, you can get away with animating 50amps worth of lights on one 30 amp controller.

Is this a common practice?

Thanks everyone. Brian

mcnamara9 wrote:

Is this a common practice?

Thanks everyone. Brian

I wouldn't say common, in that more than 50% of the users out there do it.

I would say there are plenty of people out there who do this. The key would be to review your programming again and again and again. One wrong cell block and *poof*. If it were me, I wouldn't put the two channels right next to each other ... but I wouldn't put them so far apart that you can't see them on the same screen.

Don wrote:

If it were me, I wouldn't put the two channels right next to each other ... but I wouldn't put them so far apart that you can't see them on the same screen.

Good idea. If you can see them on the same screen you're more apt to catch it if you do inadvetently turn them both on simultaneously.

I do this with 2 colors of icicle lights. There are no parts of the show where I want both colors on at the same time, so they both use the same half of a 16 channel controller.