Light-O-Rama Forums

Just ordered a starter package. App how many lights can I run?

ebrown1972

Ok I am new to this whole thing but have always wanted to do it. I purchased a 16 channel pc controller along with the basic software and an fm transmitter and the showtime mini director. I plan on adding more as the years go on. I do not own a single led christmas light but do own quite a bit of incandescent lights. With that said right now is not the best time of the year to buy up a bunch of led lights. I plan on waiting the day after christmas to do that. Approximately how many incandescent lights will I be able to run on just a 16 channel set up? I'm sure this questioned has been asked before and am sorry if that is the case! I am super pumped to have a new hobby!!!!!!!

The PC controller is rated at 30 amps per side, meaning that each side can hold a maximum of 15 amps.

While there is a limitation of 8 amps per channel, many people won't reach that with LED's. Incandescent, maybe. Of course if you have 8 channels maxed out at 8 amps, you can't turn them all on at once. (64 > 15)

If a string of 100 count mini lights is .34 amps per string you can put about 35 strands on each side of the controller. If you do the math and notice that adds up to 12 amps, it's because of something called the 80% rule. Basically you don't want to go over 80% of what the electrical cords are rated for.

If a string of 100 count mini lights is .34 amps per string you can put about 35 strands on each side of the controller.

Again, only if you turn them all on at once. Don't do that, and you can add a lot more.

Read more here since it was discussed further there (with some not-so-accurate posts as well as some humorous posts as well):

The PC controller is rated at 30 amps per side, meaning that each side can hold a maximum of 15 amps.

Seems a typo was made. Should be 30 amps total, 15 per side.