Light-O-Rama Forums

Best projector to buy?

PatrickNew

I am adding video this year, and bought a projector to use. Had some issues with it, and have had to return it. Now I'm looking again for a projector that won't break the bank. What projectors do you guys use? I'm looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Projector-Portable-lumens-brightness/dp/B005LMWP82/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350132520&sr=8-1&keywords=projector+epson

Thoughts? Thanks for your help!

I'm using a <$300 (new) projector on ebay. It's a cheap Chinese thing that I'd never ever use for a home theater, but is perfect for the display - bright and crisp enough (mine's not HD though, but I'm ok with that)

I finally broke down and upgraded to a Benq W710ST, it is a short throw and has plenty of connection possibilities including an rs232 connection that I should be able to control via the serial port on my show computer. It wasn't cheap @ $599.00 CDN but as projectors go it is about mid range. The short throw allows an 84" screen at 51" which means I can still use the room that it is located in and it is bright enough to have the lights on in the room (office) while the videos are running. This is an upgrade from a 20+ year old projector that came from a school presentation room and weighs at least 40+ lbs and needed 10' or 12" to give me an 80" screen.

If you want to pay the shipping, you can have it but I think you could probably buy a projector for less than the shipping cost from Canada.

Just a note, Benq classed this as a Home Entertainment projector and I will use this in our theater during the off season for the Wii and movie night. There is a W610ST which is less money, but it has fewer connection capabilities than the 710.

Cheers

Daryl B

It's not just the projector that you must check out but the lamp too. Some projector's replacement lamps can run around $200. each. Since my projector was going to be projected onto a window (shower curtain) so the resolution didn't have to be that great, I was able to get a projector for less than $200 whose replacement bulbs were less than $30. each. I think the lumen spec was 1800 which was more than bright.

This is a similiar model of what I purchased. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VVME-LCD-PROJECTOR-HOME-THEATER-HDMI-HD-TV-PS3-DVD-/280631442657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4156effce1

It's not just the projector that you must check out but the lamp too. Some projector's replacement lamps can run around $200. each. Since my projector was going to be projected onto a window (shower curtain) so the resolution didn't have to be that great, I was able to get a projector for less than $200 whose replacement bulbs were less than $30. each. I think the lumen spec was 1800 which was more than bright.

This is a similiar model of what I purchased. http://www.ebay.com/...=item4156effce1

Same here. That's the class (but not the exact type) of projector I got as well.