Light-O-Rama Forums

Just starting, what to buy?

hellooldchap42

Ok, so I am JUST starting this and I am very new. I apologize for my uber-noob questions. We are lighting an indoor office for a decorating contest and thinking about the Residential Series 16 Channel Starter Package with the CTB16PC-ReadyToGO and the USB485 adapter. Is that really all the hardware I need? On the other hand, we aren't entirely sure how we will want to program the lights yet, either. Also, on the description for the USB485, it says it has RJ45 jacks on it. Do we need to purchase these as well?

Thank you for all your help and as they say, Welcome to my new addiction!

If you get the Residential Series Starter Kit it will have everything you need.

• A controller
  • USB485 Adapter
  • Cables (CAT5 and USB)
  • Software

With this starter kit you would have to run the shows from your computer. Be sure you can have a computer hooked up to the controller at all times. If you don't want to use a computer, consider the Mini-Director.

Group in 4 from left to right or right to left and bootless cat 5

Huh?

:unsure:

Ok, so I am JUST starting this and I am very new. I apologize for my uber-noob questions. We are lighting an indoor office for a decorating contest and thinking about the Residential Series 16 Channel Starter Package with the CTB16PC-ReadyToGO and the USB485 adapter. Is that really all the hardware I need? On the other hand, we aren't entirely sure how we will want to program the lights yet, either. Also, on the description for the USB485, it says it has RJ45 jacks on it. Do we need to purchase these as well?

Thank you for all your help and as they say, Welcome to my new addiction!

If you can use a screwdriver, you can put one of these together in about 30 minutes:

http://store.lightorama.com/ctascpa.html

And get a starter kit:

http://store.lightorama.com/spk800.html

Adapter connects to your computer. Cat5 cable connects from adapter to your controller. Get cat5 cable here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208

Are you planning to synch to music? If so, are you planning to play over some speakers (maybe just your computer speakers, if this is a small room setup), or broadcast through a FM transmitter for radios to pick up your music instead? Account for either.

Need lots of extension cords (2 power cords entering into the controller, and 16 coming out, so need minimum of 18 cords to start). Need lots of lights too.

Yes, you need to buy jewelry for the wife or girlfriend. You will find out why later on :-)

Seriously, I think the only issue you have is that it is MUCH too later to do any of your own sequences unless you plan to spend a ton of hours late at night doing them. The holidays are almost here. Buy some sequences and / or ask for some free ones from people.

Yes, you need to buy jewelry for the wife or girlfriend. You will find out why later on :-)

Seriously, I think the only issue you have is that it is MUCH too later to do any of your own sequences unless you plan to spend a ton of hours late at night doing them. The holidays are almost here. Buy some sequences and / or ask for some free ones from people.

LOL nice. As far as sequences, we will be downloading free ones. We have already found a few that we like. We will just need to figure out what channel we want which lights on.

On the boxes

, does this have the same box as this? Just without the software? If so, I like that it saves me about 30 or 40 bucks. That's not bad at all.

On the boxes , does this have the same box as this? Just without the software? If so, I like that it saves me about 30 or 40 bucks. That's not bad at all.

If what you are asking is "are they the same controller?" Then yes they are. The Card Assembled one (2nd one in your quote above) includes everything you need, with the board soldered and installed in the case already. All you have to do is attach the cords (simple, no soldering).