Light-O-Rama Forums

ELL Header

columbus27

Does anyone know the layout of the headers on the ELL? I was wondering if I could send power directly through the header instead of through cat 5.

According to the documentation ...

No connections should be made to the two pin headers on the circuit board. One of these headers is used to program the transceiver at the factory. The other is reserved for possible future versions of the software to provide a limited number of input/output ports.

Based on that, I don't think it would be possible.

Your best bet is to cut into the cat5 cable and pull out the green/white pair. White with green is positive, and green (or green with white stripes) is negative (ground). The ELL needs about 9 volts, but it needs to be filtered.

Don't cut the ground (green) wire, as it's also the signal common line for the RS485.

Edited by Steven

This begs the question, which headers are you referring to? The ones within the CAT5 jacks (lower left), or the two pin headers (top left/top center.) (Locations as shown on page 14 of the manual.)

I guess my question would be why do you want to do that?

It sounds like you are making a solution to a problem, but if we know the problem, there might be another better solution.

I guess my question would be why do you want to do that?

It sounds like you are making a solution to a problem, but if we know the problem, there might be another better solution.

I'm assuming the 'problem' is to power the ELL without using the booster dongle.

Tim, oh I see. Makes sense. I guess I would prefer not risking to screw up an expensive ELL and just use the booster instead.

Tim, oh I see. Makes sense. I guess I would prefer not risking to screw up an expensive ELL and just use the booster instead.

I tend to agree :)

I'm assuming the 'problem' is to power the ELL without using the booster dongle.

... or to locate the ELL more than 25' from the computer.

From the ELL manual:

The cable between the transceiver and the controller or adapter must be 25’ or less. The transceiver is powered by the controller(s) or an LOR USB485B adapter. A long cable causes excessive voltage drop resulting in transceiver failure.